TC Firestorm Issue, Maybe? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

TC Firestorm Issue, Maybe?

I have hunted with a hawkens forever. Ran across a deal on a firestorm ss brand new for $300 so I bought it. I have a 18 month at home so always looking for a deal. I am shooting a tc 250 gr sabout with 2 pyrodex pellets. It is not going off everytime. I am getting ok pan flash and it doesnt seem to be igniting the pellets. I am a first time pellet user has anyone had this problem? Any load suggestions? My hawkens has a much smaller touch hole and goes off every time! Thanks for any suggestions or load suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Re: TC Firestorm Issue, Maybe?

Use real blackpowder.

I never liked pellets out of my Firestorm
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM
The Man

Put 5 grains of BP down the barrel first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via Yahoo to pacherokee54

Are you putting the "dark end" down? If you look at the Pyrodex Pellets they have a Dark end and a lighter end. The dark end of the pellet should go down towards your breach plug. I don't know if it's correct in saying there's an excellerent on one end or not. However loading it this way I have never had a problem with Pyrodex Pellets going off. Good Luck this week and let me know if it work's out for you.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM
The Man

I picked up some pellets at Wal-Mart discounted real cheap so I tried em last year.They went off fine for me on each shot but I,m stickin with the pure black stuff.If you have to put a primer charge down the barrel(I never had to)what,s the use,you might as well use loose real powder for the whole charge.Maybe you didn,t seat the pellets with your projectile.I used 2 pellets and a button and then a PRB.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 AM

Pyrodex has a higher ignition temperature than real black. In addition, some touch hole liners make it harder for the fire to get into the charge. because of the shape of the inside of the breech plug a small amount of powder will simply settle into the recess at the bottom and may not make it into the flash channel. ten grains should be enough to do it.

The inside of a TC breech plug has a 3/8 inch round bottom hole. A short distance above the bottom of that recess is a 1/4 inch perpendicular hole that leads to the touch hole. Normally with loose powder some settles into the flash channel all the way to the inside of the touch hole. This puts the powder charge within 1/16th of an inch of the pan flash

50 caliber pellets will fit down the bore only as far as where the breech plug threads meet the interior of the bore. from there to the bottom of the breech plug it is only 3/8 inch in diameter and about 5/8 inch deep.

with just pellets in such a breech configuration, the fire from the pan must go through a narrow touch hole travel 3/8 inch into the breech recess and then make a 90 degree turn and travel another 3/8 inch to reach the pellet.

the configuration is frought with possible failures.

The surest cure is ten grains of real black down the bore and then side slap the gun to settle powder into the flash channel. then add the pellets.

It is just a whole lot easier to use real black.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:24 AM

I have a firestorm in the caplock version, and use nothing but black powder...actually a substitute called Shockey's Gold. Gun goes off every time unless it's pouring outside.

Like others, I would recommend black powder.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 AM
The Man

The set up I give my son is a 30gr then 50gr(80 total)....
...then FILL( like zimm said, you need some powder to fill that gap...pull out the breech plug and see the internal point ) with the nipple out to a SMALL pea sized mound at the nipple opening....do not fill the pan!

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:55 AM

forgot to mention, Pyroduh can and does deteriorate over time. How old is yer stuff.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! never noticed the darker end of the pellets will try that first. If i am going to dump powder down the barrel then I might as well just use all powder just like my hawkens. Just thought the pellets would make it a little easier for the youngen when he is ready. This might be a dumb question but what if I just put a little 4f down the barrell since it is already around my neck for the frizzen? Or will that cause a problem? Thanks for every ones help I really appreciate it when I get some really good info and evryone was helpful. I wasnt able to get some shooting in at camp due to the high winds and rain so just used the bow this weekend. I will not use a weapon that I am not 100% confident in or comfortable with and I left the hawkens at home. I thought I could use the bow in the morning and shoot in the smoke pole in at lunch then take it for a walk in the afternoon, oh well I will try to get it shot in this week. I sure do love hearing all the muzzle loaders going off at the end of light, no beter sound than a ringing on the creek hills of a muzzle blast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page