T/C Pecatonica River replacement stocks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

T/C Pecatonica River replacement stocks

I have two T/C Renegades I am looking to partially customize. One is a .54 percussion with a Fox River round ball barrel. The other is a .50 flintlock with an upgraded lock and Deer slayer trigger. Looking to have Mr. Hoyt rebore the stock barrel to a 1:70 .54 round ball barrel.

Any way I am looking at putting T/C replacement stocks on them from Pecantonica River. I figure this will be my first step into building muzzle loaders. Here are my questions:

1. Have any of you used this company and how much work was required to get the stock ready to assemble the weapon?

2. Were you able to put any aftermarket items on the stock like butt plate, trigger guard?

3. What level of wood did you get? I am thinking 2 or 3. curly maple

4. What is or was your level of knowledge or skill when you did your stock?

5. If possible could you add some photos?

Thank You so very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am working on one of these now. There is a fair amount of fitting involved. I have an L&R lock on mine which required a fair amount of fitting. I have the barrel and tang pretty well fit in. I want to thin the forearm sides because it is pretty thick. My other advice is to use the Aquafortis to lift out the curl in the maple. If I have a chance I will load a picture but their isn't much to see. The buttplate and forend can be custom. Everything else is pretty much inlet for TC. I am planning all steel hardware on mine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Another couple thoughts...I wanted to artificial tiger stripe mine with brown leather dye so I asked for minimal curl. As for skill level, it is pretty easy if you plan to use a TC lock. You can pick up carving tools at Harbor Frieght (woodworkers are cringing now). Watch some videos on sharpening carving tools and wet sanding Truoil finish when finishing. Also, I bought a little bench top Black and Decker swivel hobby vise, think it's a Hobbycrafter. It works pretty well for the cost. Usually some on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Rugered,

Thanks I have an L&R Lock on the flintlock and a set of Deer Slayer triggers, the Percussion is all stock except for a Fox Ridge barrel. But I might go ahead and up grade the lock and trigger when I do it. I plan on doing one in brass in an Ohio fashion and the other in black in a Jim Bridger fashion. Photos would be great!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 01:49 PM
New Arrival

Maybe also consider Tiger Hunt (gunstockwood.com). I've only use his blanks but I know he also has pre-carved for T/C Hawkens.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

ANF thanks I will check him out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page