The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Smoked a deer

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Six-Gun 
#1 ·
And in this case, you can say I almost literally smoked one... lol

105 yards, she ran about 75 yards and crashed in a heap.

This was my longest flintlock shot on a deer, and it's the first deer I killed with a ball I cast myself.

Time to go harass the tree rats now....

See less See more
#16 ·
Glad to see someone got one...I saw one lone deer in the snow last Saturday and haven't seen a deer since. Where I hunt, that ice crust was terrible and made it impossible to sneak up on anything. I may try to get out after this downpour is over.

#18 ·
The spots I could hunt this past week are woods only, so it has been tough. I loved seeing that snow come down but I knew it would turn out terrible due when it turned to sleet 3pm last Saturday.

Looks like 90 minutes here. I have a plan, but unfortunately I left my climber seat out in the woods last night...I'll have to take the seat from my main climber.

#19 ·
I got out and took a stand where I thought I stood the best chance of seeing deer, but thought the chance of a shot was low. No deer tonight.

'Yotes wiped out the gut pile already from my doe from Thursday. There was a 10' "crop circle" they flattened around the gut pile, the stomach contents, and not one thing else left over. They made short work of that....maybe my 223 and I need to get out there this winter...

#20 ·
It cut loose raining again as soon as I got settled up a tree. Squirrels were still out though, really standing out bright grey in that light. Then the fog came in waves. A fox came through twice. I didn't see deer until after 4:30 or so when they came out to feed in a cornfield about 3/4 mile away. Five does I think, one really small yet. There was a guy in a ladder stand in that field a couple weeks ago wearing orange, and he didn't shoot that evening. At least not a gunshot, and I doubt he'd have orange on for bow. These deer were in bowrange to his stand and the wind was right, too, but I didn't see him tonight. Well, cars will probably kill one or two of them before September.

#22 ·
That's about the end of "point and shoot" for that rifle. Beyond that and the trajectory starts looking like a ski jump ramp.

The vast majority of deer killed with a flintlock are inside 75 yards from the hunter. And not many are killed with a flintlock in a given year anyway, so one shot at or beyond 100 yards is a pretty uncommon event.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.