Cleaning a pinned barrel rifle effectively - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning a pinned barrel rifle effectively

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times over, but I figured I would ask again. For flintlock rifles with a pinned barrel (and especially rifles with no touchhole liner) what is the best way to clean them? I have a 36 cal flintlock that I really enjoy shooting, but I don't shoot it much because I find it tough to clean. The touch hole is just drilled into it, no liner to remove, and the barrel is pinned in rather than wedge keyed. I just don't know quite how to clean the gun effectively. I hesitate to use a brush on any barrel where I can't completely flush all the debris from the bore when I'm done. Suggestions?

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 AM

Good question. I am entertaining a long rifle kit that has a liner but the liner will be non removable and peened in place. Curious how this area is cleaned as well on a pinned barrel.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage

Simple job. Check out video below around 5:30m:

Laylow likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 01-21-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: ....added video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Loggy got it. A good video.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:54 AM

Video shows them removing the pins from the stock. Not a huge fan of having to do that every time on a pinned barrel. To me, it would seem that the tolerances would get sloppy over time. Is that something that is typically done during cleaning?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Video shows them removing the pins from the stock. Not a huge fan of having to do that every time on a pinned barrel. To me, it would seem that the tolerances would get sloppy over time. Is that something that is typically done during cleaning?
^ this. same question from me.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage

Going on 12 years with my Brad Emig PA Mountain Rifle & I have only removed barrel 2 times. Those times were when gun got totally drenched. Upon removal...was surprised of how minimal the fouling/dirt infiltration etc was. I mainly removed due to moisture concerns. ...my barrel is very tightly fitted leaving minimal exposure to contamination. Now the locks another matter...I remove several times during season pending use. If a heavy range visit...automatically remove lock for cleaning.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 01-21-2020 at 11:16 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

i remove the lock for cleaning every time I fire the gun, but I can't figure out how to properly soak the barrel with water and swab everything out with the barrel still in the stock. I tried plugging the touch hole and filling the barrel with hot soapy water, but I can never get the touch hole completely sealed and I don't want to ruin the surrounding wood.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage

Since I switched to cleaner burning Swiss black powder(vs crudy Goex) found that I can avoid the sloppy hot water wash by using Windex (multi-task) which has vinegar in formula which is also nonammonia based. A couple wet/dry swabs and bbl is cleaner than a hot water bath will ever produce. When finishing up I run about 1 oz down bbl and scrape breech plug face with scraper plus use touch hole brush to clean touch hole.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 01-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:54 AM

I remove the barrels from all my Longrifles everytime they need cleaned.

Remove lock and tang bolts

Remove pins.

Remove barrel

Breech into water. Clean and dry and lube. Lock gets cleaned. It all gets out back together.

Little trick. Make your pins a little short. I see a lot of guys make them flush with the wood. I make mine short. #1 you can't see them when they are short. #2, I can use the pin hole as a guide for pushing out the pin. If the pin is flush with the wood, it's hard to get a good line on it..that's when things slip and get dinged up.

Only time I probably wouldn't do it like it do, is if I had a long fragile tang like a TN lollipop tang that would bend pretty easy.

Could use a flush kit. TOTW sells them. I have. They work.

Could plug the vent. I've never tried it and wouldn't unless I was in a pinch. I like pumping the water in and out and flushing the bore, breech face and vent.

Never understood why guys remove touch hole liners???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page