Some assistance - looking for a 32cal Flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Some assistance - looking for a 32cal Flintlock

Looking for assistance in finding an easier kit to complete. I have a nice 50 Cal PA rifle I picked up from Dixon's at their gun makers fair in 2018. I have 2 factory 50cal Hawken style rifles (CVA and Traditions)

I am looking for a 32 Cal for squirrel. I was looking at this kit

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...+Cal+Flint+Kit

It's a Pedersoli 32 cal kit. It seems like it would be pretty much assemble and go. Doe anyone have any experience with this kit? How heavy are they?

I was also looking at some of the Kibler kits. They are about twice as much as the cheaper Pedersoli and a 3 month wait. They do appear to be a much nicer gun though.

Any other options I am missing? I do not feel that I have the tools or the knowledge (at this point) to take on a more extensive kit. Maybe one day in the future but at this time I have limited space for working/building

Thanks
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM
The Man

Your gonna love it for squirrel.The 32 is perfect for small game.The 36 is more turkey size game.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:27 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I like my 36 a lot for squirrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Soup, Several years ago, I purchased the Pedersoli Cub Cadet kit from Dixie GW to build my grandson's first flintlock. It was the exact stock shape as the one your are considering, but shorter, with a .45 cal. barrel.

As I tend to unnecessarily do with many projects, many additional hours were involved in removing the barrel blueing, filing chevrons on the nose cap, reshaping the butt stock and adding some carving, and filing five flats on the butt plate tang. Greg Dixon added the final touch by engraving the grandson's initial on the toe plate.

This little rifle turned out to be a tack driver, and if my grandson could have still-hunted more slowly, it could have harvested a doe or two before he grew out of it. Grandpop built him a full-sized, .50 cal. rifle as a graduation present. It is still a virgin as well!

I think this kit would make you a fine flintlock.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Built this kit years ago when it was less than $400, wow can't believe they have increased that much. This is basically a finish it yourself kit ,all inletting is done, not much if any shaping will be required, brass will need to be polished,barrel will need a finish ,I browned mine. My stock is american walnut that took some sanding,and filler to fill the grain and several coats of true oil,or the finish of your choice.

I just weighed mine it is a whisker over 8lb.

If you decide to do this,I believe you will be happy with the results, 30gr of 3f swiss and a 310 patched with pillow tic round ball will clover leaf at 35yds, bench rest of course. Lock never fails,and trigger is sweet.

Thanks for reminding me that it was in the safe,haven't had it out to play in a while. 78yr old eyes and open sights don't line up like they used to.

Go for it you'll love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page