Conicals or round balls - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:25 AM
Part of the Community

Round balls for sure! Sadly I can no longer use my .490 round ball for elk in colorado and therefore I switch to the 395gr lyman plains bullet that I recently started to cast. Super accuracy, loading isn't bad, no swabbing is needed.

1 3/4" @ 100 yards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:20 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullandFuller View Post
I'd like to try some of those PA conicals...are they still being made? I see places to buy them, sometimes a little pricey, but not sure if they are old stock. I have read some posts that they were discontinued.

I was looking for a mold for them, but it sounds like they are little too complex. But I am the guy who would buy a mold rather than pay $.40 a bullet plus shipping and consider it paid off when they broke even without accounting for lead price or my time.

They sound like the best option to roundballs for .50 and slow twist.

A while back I was shooting some REAL 250 Gr Lee bullets that are similar to the Pa conicals. In my .50Cal Renegade, and my hunting partners' New Englander they were easy to load, accurate, and did a more than acceptable job of putting venison on the table.

I loaded mine with 80Grs of FFG/ EVOO Crisco &beeswax, and my partner liked either 80 or 90Grs of Pyrodex RS. Same lube.

I think I still have a hundred or so of the "Little Bullets", (We nicknamed them), in my gun room, definately worth looking into.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckskinMtnMan View Post
Round balls for sure! Sadly I can no longer use my .490 round ball for elk in colorado and therefore I switch to the 395gr lyman plains bullet that I recently started to cast. Super accuracy, loading isn't bad, no swabbing is needed.

1 3/4" @ 100 yards.

What rate of twist are you shooting them out of? I just wondered.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
A while back I was shooting some REAL 250 Gr Lee bullets that are similar to the Pa conicals. In my .50Cal Renegade, and my hunting partners' New Englander they were easy to load, accurate, and did a more than acceptable job of putting venison on the table.

I loaded mine with 80Grs of FFG/ EVOO Crisco &beeswax, and my partner liked either 80 or 90Grs of Pyrodex RS. Same lube.

I think I still have a hundred or so of the "Little Bullets", (We nicknamed them), in my gun room, definately worth looking into.
What barrel twists with the 250 gr REAL? Std 1:48 on the TC? I'm looking to try them from a 1:72 green mountain barrel or a 1:66 PA Hunter. The 250 gr REAL success stories are usually 1:48 to 1:28 twists.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:16 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002235363?pid=730932

Your right at .40 cents per bullet. PRB's go .10 to .11 per bullet......but IMHO, when a fast reload is needed.....nothing like a Pa. Conical to load 'n shoot for speed.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:27 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularjoe View Post
what rate of twist are you shooting them out of? I just wondered.

1:48
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullandFuller View Post
What barrel twists with the 250 gr REAL? Std 1:48 on the TC? I'm looking to try them from a 1:72 green mountain barrel or a 1:66 PA Hunter. The 250 gr REAL success stories are usually 1:48 to 1:28 twists.
Sorry for the delay in replying, went deer hunting.

I've used the 250 Gr REAL bullets in 1:66, 1:48, and 1:38 twists. Adnittedly, the accuracy in the 1:38 wasn't as good as the others, so it works in twists where you would expect good round ball results, only with with a bit more oomph. The rule of thumb on conicals is the longer the length, the faster the twist needs to be.

Either one of the barrels you describe should be acceptable for the "Little Bullets". Lee says a max of 100Grs of powder, I only used 80Grs.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm with flintlock hunter. I've been casting 250 grain Lee REALs for many years and find them to shoot topnotch in 1:30 and 1:48 barrels. I gave a bunch to my brother-in-law who is so tickled with the accuracy he is getting that he thinks I'm a genius caster. 80 grains of black powder really makes it sing and is pleasant to shoot, too. The REALs don't seem to be too particular about what lube you use either, as far as I can tell.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM
The Man

PA Conicals are still readily available (at the moment), but sometimes they will get darned scarce. If you're gonna buy, buy a couple boxes or more and be set for the long run.

32 1/2 cents/ea from Track of the Wolf ($16.19/box)
40 cents/ea from Midway ($19.99/box)
27 cents/ea from Bud's Gun Shop ($13.45/box)

They claim they are for 1:66 twist guns. But I know first-handed that they shoot very well in a 1:20 twist T/C rifle I have. I doubt, should you try them, you'll be disappointed.

demokraten saugen
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:51 PM
The Man

The REAL's are good bullets, too. But they can be very owly about rifling depth.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in