Cabela's Hawken strikes again - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW PA 1B
Posts: 1,539
Back To Top
Cabela's Hawken strikes again

I have taken better than a half dozen deer with it since I've had it, used to have a bunch of guys I hunted with late season driving deer but we don't gather much anymore and I hunt more by myself these days, though I hadn't hunted hard with it the last few years. I got her sighted in and have had a good bit of fun with it this year.


My wife is hunting with the crossbow late season and we usually go out weekends at the same time, different stands and trade stories about the hunts after, both of the Saturdays have been damp and tough flinter weather. I had a good set up one night with the snow and got picked off, way too many eyes and I was on a field edge, I never like hunting over food but rather trails leading to and from are my thing so I was looking forward to this week with kids back in school I'd have time to poke around and hunt about anywhere with no schedule to stick to. My plan was to push deeper everyday until I caught a doe on her feet in daylight and got a shot.



Well it was sort of anticlimactic last night but I put a .490 Hornady round ball thru a doe and filled a tag with the old Hawken replica from Cabela's. She came in facing me and it looked as though the next turn would put her body behind a tree and I'd lose a chance to shoot so when she put her head down I held a good bead on her and tripped it. When the smoke cleared she was kicking on the ground 35 yards away. The ball went in between her shoulder blades and folded her right up. She had some warted skin under her left front shoulder in the armpit area, had an injury on her right rear foot you can barely see in the picture too. She also has some sort of issue with one lung being stuck to her rib cage. In all I have had a great year, still have a doe tag left, might still get out there and try for one more.


I shot a nice rabbit with the same gun last week, 18 yard shot and blew the thing near in half, I did get a bit of back strap meat and 4 legs for the pot off of it though, and a flintlock rabbit was a first for me, need to go shoot a squirrel too!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200106_171702_1578355549472.jpg (1.25 MB, 42 views)

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
RegularJoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 10:28 AM
The Man
 
loridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pa, Dauphin co
Posts: 8,464
Back To Top
Congrats on the kill!

Quote:
She also has some sort of issue with one lung being stuck to her rib cage.

Maybe someone will chime in on this, I've heard of it before somewhere.
loridr is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
dpms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 18,538
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularJoe View Post
She had some warted skin under her left front shoulder in the armpit area, had an injury on her right rear foot you can barely see in the picture too.
Sounds like harmless fibromas.

Quote:
She also has some sort of issue with one lung being stuck to her rib cage.
Could be previous pneumonia or trauma that caused adhesions to form.

Quote:
In all I have had a great year, still have a doe tag left, might still get out there and try for one more.
Congrats on the fine late season deer!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
dpms is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 AM
The Man
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: conestoga,pa/Mills,Pa
Posts: 5,503
Back To Top
congrats and good luck on your next time out
NorthernPotterCo is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
325wsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: sw pa
Posts: 323
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularJoe View Post
I have taken better than a half dozen deer with it since I've had it, used to have a bunch of guys I hunted with late season driving deer but we don't gather much anymore and I hunt more by myself these days, though I hadn't hunted hard with it the last few years. I got her sighted in and have had a good bit of fun with it this year.


My wife is hunting with the crossbow late season and we usually go out weekends at the same time, different stands and trade stories about the hunts after, both of the Saturdays have been damp and tough flinter weather. I had a good set up one night with the snow and got picked off, way too many eyes and I was on a field edge, I never like hunting over food but rather trails leading to and from are my thing so I was looking forward to this week with kids back in school I'd have time to poke around and hunt about anywhere with no schedule to stick to. My plan was to push deeper everyday until I caught a doe on her feet in daylight and got a

Well it was sort of anticlimactic last night but I put a .490 Hornady round ball thru a doe and filled a tag with the old Hawken replica from Cabela's. She came in facing me and it looked as though the next turn would put her body behind a tree and I'd lose a chance to shoot so when she put her head down I held a good bead on her and tripped it. When the smoke cleared she was kicking on the ground 35 yards away. The ball went in between her shoulder blades and folded her right up. She had some warted skin under her left front shoulder in the armpit area, had an injury on her right rear foot you can barely see in the picture too. She also has some sort of issue with one lung being stuck to her rib cage. In all I have had a great year, still have a doe tag left, might still get out there and try for one more.


I shot a nice rabbit with the same gun last week, 18 yard shot and blew the thing near in half, I did get a bit of back strap meat and 4 legs for the pot off of it though, and a flintlock rabbit was a first for me, need to go shoot a squirrel too!!
.

Not meaning to offend you but 50 cal flintlocks are not legal for rabbits and squirrels, I believe 36 cal and under for small game in pa.
325wsm is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 AM
JDS
Part of the Community
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 103
Back To Top
36 cal is correct
JDS is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
blackpowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: blooming valley pa. in nw pa 1B
Posts: 4,028
Back To Top
Actually, it is .40 cal or less. And congratulations on some fine eating!
blackpowder is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW PA 1B
Posts: 1,539
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325wsm View Post
.

Not meaning to offend you but 50 cal flintlocks are not legal for rabbits and squirrels, I believe 36 cal and under for small game in pa.



No offense taken, I should not have shot then and was in the wrong. I already ate the rabbit, squirrel hunting is out then I reckon. I will have to read up. Thank you.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
RegularJoe is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
325wsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: sw pa
Posts: 323
Back To Top
WabbiT at 18 yards is good shooting , glad you ate it I miss small game hunting
325wsm is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ND/Bucks County
Posts: 3,727
Back To Top
Congrats on the last season deer!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
USAFRET is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome