Newish to Flintlocks, ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Newish to Flintlocks, ?

Bought a Flintlock off a member a few years ago and haven’t had the chance to hunt more than a day or two. This season I have been fortunate/unfortunate to still have a tag and a longer span to hunt.

With the in-line I dump every day. With Flintlock I’ve heard pull the ball, leave in garage between hunts(in-line guys I’ve hunted with do this a lot, C02 discharges, or fire and clean everyday. Where I am it wouldn’t be conducive to firing daily. I’ve read of ball pullers getting stuck or broken. It sounds like using one is more of a last ditch effort to pull a ball without powder. I’m thinking C02 might be the answer unless the ball doesn’t clear.

I’m wondering how you do it if you hunt a few weeks with a Flintlock and what makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:39 PM

I leave mine loaded, without powder in the pan all season. At the end of the season shoot it to unload it if you don't have a removable breech plug.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have one loaded in the garage and one in the truck. I will unload them on a deer or at the end of the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:51 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Mine stays loaded until I shoot a deer or season ends.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Mine stays loaded until I shoot a deer or season ends.
This.
Mine is currently sitting loaded (since October) in the second safe...
Hoping it gets unloaded at a deer in the coming weeks...
If not, at the end of the last day of the season, it'll get fired into a safe backstop and cleaned that evening.
.257 likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Actually, my smoothbore may stay loaded until spring when I pull the RB and load it with shot for spring turkey hunting.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM

I never quite understood why some people choose to discharge the rifle with CO2 or a ball puller. Is there some major advantage to it? Either way the projectile is destroyed, right? All you do is save yourself swabbing out the barrel and a small amount of powder. Maybe its different with an inline or percussion rifle, but for me, the charge stays in the gun until the hammer falls on a deer or an empty water bottle at the end of the last day of the season.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I unload my RMC every year with my co2. Discharge the load into a pile of old rags. Never damaged a bullet yet. Doc in Pa
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 05:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mine's still loaded since October and hanging on the wall. I have a round, wooden toothpick in the touch hole. The fowler's still loaded from spring gobbler!
blackpowder and thumper23 like this.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:25 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I loaded my deer gun in January last year. Shot it in October. Boom! Not "ker-boom!"...not "clack fizz boom."

Just...BOOM!

If I'm hunting and feel twitchy about how damp it was, I'll pull the ball, dump the powder, run a few alcohol patches, and when dry, reload fresh. Other than that, I don't unload it.

I just got in from hunting. Put a wadded up paper towel in the pan (no prime), closed the frizzen with the lock on half-cock, put on the hammerstall, and put it up on the wall where it lives all the time.

I don't shoot it if it's not dirty. The ball will pull real easy and the powder will come out just fine. I will remelt the boogered up ball at my next casting session and make a new one out of the lead.

If it's dirty, I'll shoot it because at that point, I have nothing to gain from pulling the ball and the fouling will make it a bit tougher to yank a ball out.

I bring it inside daily from hunting. Paper towel, kleenex, or TP in the pan and closed frizzen. Store it horizontally. She's been fine when treated that way, even if it's bitterly cold out. I'll sometimes put a dry patch down the bore with my work rod if it's REAL cold so that if the bore sweats, I'll pull the moisture out the next day when I withdraw the patch, rather than ram it down to the ball by patching it after it sweats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page