Quieting the full cock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quieting the full cock

Does anyone have any good tips for quieting the click when going to full cock? When the woods are very quiet, it seems unbelievably loud and the deer don't seem to like it much. If you pull the firing trigger as you go to full cock, will it take the click away? And more importantly, is it safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:47 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

What rifle?

What kind of trigger?

Many types of triggers will allow you to pull the hammer back off the half cock notch, then pull the trigger while holding hammer back a bit and hold the trigger while pulling the hammer as far back as it'll physically go. Then hold it there, release the trigger, and gently lower the hammer, which will stop at the full cock position. And it won't click.

With an EMPTY gun, practice this. It works very well. I have three custom guns and all use single/simple triggers and will allow this procedure.

I've also done it with my TC Renegade.
Loggy, K. Gus and flintlock hunter like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:53 PM
The Man

^^^^That's how I do it with my PA Hunter
flintlock hunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My rifle is a cabelas hawken. I will have to give this method a try.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt with hammer fully cocked with a leather cover on the frizzen. Cover is tied to the trigger guard with a piece of fishing line. Just flip it off with your thumb and shoot.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Maybe my lock is just quiet... never had one notice going from half to full cock.
Never noticed the set trigger being pulled either...
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 10:54 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Depends on the deer, situation, and such.

I haven't had one notice my set trigger lately either, but that's probably because my guns don't have one, lol.

With a single/simple trigger, however, there's one downside. It will "jingle" a little if you bump it the wrong way when the lock is not fully cocked.

I had a group of does coming in from about 150 yards across a field when I bumped the trigger as I reached to get my finger on it to cock the gun as I described above. A single trigger, until the lock is fully cocked, has no pressure/tension on it, and can just freely move a little. I brushed the side of it as my finger came in to engage the trigger to cock the gun quietly. The jingle it makes is very faint, but the lead doe locked up on the spot, stared at me for a long long time, and then led her group elsewhere.

It really just depends on the deer and what they've experienced leading up to that point in time. If they've had some pressure and it's dead quiet, they could easily be spooked when cocking the gun. No pressure or some environmental background noise (wind, cars nearby, etc) and they not even notice it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 11:31 AM
New Arrival

I hunt with wool mittens that flip back to expose my finger tips, I keep only my trigger finger exposed and use my covered fingers gripped tightly on the hammer to pull back to full cock. The wool seems to me to muffle the hammer click. Unfortunately I have never been close enough to the deer to see what they think of my technique. Hopefully I will have an update tomorrow when I finally get out hunting.
Kevin
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGAME View Post
I hunt with hammer fully cocked with a leather cover on the frizzen. Cover is tied to the trigger guard with a piece of fishing line. Just flip it off with your thumb and shoot.
Not to be negative nancy here......but that seems on the dangerous side. I'd much rather trust the half-cock metal than a piece of fishing line.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The fishing line simply keeps the cover from falling to the ground when you take it off.
If you feel like you are endangering your self or others by all means dont do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page