New build - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New build

Well I was going to do this last year but Iím FINALLY doing it this year. I am in the process of ordering a K-47 Tennessee half stock from sitting fox muzzleloaders. Itís exactly what I want and I was able to get the exact hardware I want. And my wheels have been turning about it nonstop hahah. But my only question (so far) is how and what exactly did you use to finish your stocks and the process... please and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:29 PM
The Man

I never did a kit or built one from scratch. but from what I understand it depends on the look you want on your stock and also type of wood it is. a suggestion would be , take a similar type of wood and try experimenting with different stains and also try linseed oil and see what you like . hope this helps. there should be others on here that has done it , that can answer better than I can. good luck with it
thumper23 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've built a half a dozen or eight, and living a short distance from Dixon's, I'm usually found during kit-building time haunting their shop for answers and supplies.

I lean toward the Laurel Mountain stains, and find them to be top quality. I sand to 400 grit, raising the wood fibers several times by dampening the wood. Following the staining when it reaches the color I desire, I'll apply a few coats of LM finish, sanding with 600 grit, until it suits me.

I'm sure others can offer equally or better wood finishing techniques; however, you are the one toting it for the next many, many years, so you are the final judge.

Good luck with your build. It is a tedious process, but it is truly a hoot to build one!

Merry Christmas!
tdd, jarentz and thumper23 like this.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sanded down with 600 or 800 grit, aqua fortis treated, beechnut chewing tobacco for stain, about 20 coats of BLO and minwaxed. I will also "wet sand" with 2000 grit between coats of oil in the beginning. Good luck and enjoy your build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00700.jpg (1.31 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00704.jpg (1.42 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00696.jpg (1.35 MB, 20 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
Sanded down with 600 or 800 grit, aqua fortis treated, beechnut chewing tobacco for stain, about 20 coats of BLO and minwaxed. I will also "wet sand" with 2000 grit between coats of oil in the beginning. Good luck and enjoy your build.

A beauty BP, and hey, the best part is chewin that backie.
blackpowder likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:23 PM
The Man

nice looking muzzleloader , blackpowder
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys! I bought 2 pouched of BN 4 years ago, boiled and cooked the crap out of it until it was pretty thick. It has been in a jar in my fridg in the gun room all that time and is still good! I have stained 4 rifles and several smaller item and still have enough left for another rifle, money well spent!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
Thanks guys! I bought 2 pouched of BN 4 years ago, boiled and cooked the crap out of it until it was pretty thick. It has been in a jar in my fridg in the gun room all that time and is still good! I have stained 4 rifles and several smaller item and still have enough left for another rifle, money well spent!

Well crap, ya missed out on the chewin then. The old timers had it right... stain yer wood with yer chew, and brown yer metal with... well.. you know. In one end goes the ingredients, out the other goes the rifle.
blackpowder and Laylow like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wow black powder that sure does look nice. IĎbe decided to use iron nitrate and laurel mountain forge. Canít wait to see the outcome and get started on this build!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That there is a beautiful rifle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page