Flintlock season is this 45 years

It looks like it.

https://www.citizensvoice.com/sports...sary-1.1805996
Loggy and Pa.Bone like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think my first year to hunt it was 1979.
Loggy likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Like BP I to think '79 was the first year I went flinter hunting. I just remember missing so many deer in those early years!!! (Missing = outright miss, pan "poof", delayed ignition and drop the muzzle down to see the hit, Click.....nothing)
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Like BP I to think '79 was the first year I went flinter hunting. I just remember missing so many deer in those early years!!! (Missing = outright miss, pan "poof", delayed ignition and drop the muzzle down to see the hit, Click.....nothing)
Gotta love those days
Loggy and Steeltrap like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I got my first deer with a flintlock but canít remember the year it was probably 1979 or 1980. I remember they made major changes the next year and I quit flintlock hunting for a few years. I have since gotten two more deer with a flintlock.

I also remember some of those early years. We didnít know how much powder to put in the flash pan so we mostly filled it up. It was like an old camera flash going off before the gun went off. Iíve learned a few things since but still learning.
Loggy and blackpowder like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:57 PM
The Man

it was in the late 90`s when dad and I got started getting into it, likegf44mag said we are still learning as well
Loggy likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Sage

Per ck of my hunting record books I killed my first flinter deer 1/6/2000 and started smokin mid 1990's. First deer was a Sullivan County doe taken with my TC PA Hunter shooting a roundball. Remember the kill like it was yesterday!! We are so fortunate that our PGC affords us this very special season!!
jarentz, blackpowder, .257 and 3 others like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:33 PM
Part of the Community

My 1st season was 1980, the PGC use to put the screws to us with all the assine regulations. It took 5-6yrs to get the 1st one but since then Iíve got a couple of dozen under my belt. If I had to choose between any season as the only one I could hunt it would be the flintlock.

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember my first flintlock season well, It was either 1976 or 1977. My buddy Danny had the only flintlock and four of us went to a cabin in West Hickory area to hunt, the season was only open in special area's then. We drew sticks to see who got to use the flintlock after Danny killed a deer, I never got my chance but had a great time. I think I bought my T/C Hawkens 50 cal in 1978 and killed my first deer with it in 1979.
Loggy and NorthernPotterCo like this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf44mag View Post
I got my first deer with a flintlock but canít remember the year it was probably 1979 or 1980. I remember they made major changes the next year and I quit flintlock hunting for a few years. I have since gotten two more deer with a flintlock.

I also remember some of those early years. We didnít know how much powder to put in the flash pan so we mostly filled it up. It was like an old camera flash going off before the gun went off. Iíve learned a few things since but still learning.
I remember doing a very stupid thing as a high school kid shortly after I got my flintlock. After a day of hunting in the rain I could not get my gun to go off. I decided to remove the touch hole liner and take my cigarette lighter and light the barrel powder off. Well that worked alright and forty some years later I still have black powder embedded in my fingers.
gf44mag and Loggy like this.

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page