Disappointed! UPDATE!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Disappointed! UPDATE!!!!

My son's friend came over today to shoot his ML and brought along his FIL's brand new unfired Lyman Great Plains rifle. I tried to get them to take it back, but they hounded me until I said I would work on it, a brand new gun!!! Spent about 3 hours on the lock to get it to spark and the sights still need work. I can't imagine the average joe buying one of these and trying to sight it in, let alone try to hunt with it! $600.00 for something that you have to work on or send back and have fixed!
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by blackpowder; 12-29-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:47 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
My son's friend came over today to shoot his ML and brought along his FIL's brand new unfired Lyman Great Plains rifle. I tried to get them to take it back, but they hounded me until I said I would work on it, a brand new gun!!! Spent about 3 hours on the lock to get it to spark and the sights still need work. I can't imagine the average joe buying one of these and trying to sight it in, let alone try to hunt with it! $600.00 for something that you have to work on or send back and have fixed!

Wow. That surprises, and worries me. I just highly recommended the GPR to somebody on this forum this very afternoon. I have a GPR and its been a great rifle. I know several other guys that really like theirs as well. But we all bought ours some time ago. Guess the quality has gone down hill big time.

The problem with the sights BP, was it that you couldn't adjust the rear sight enough and had to really do some filing on the front site?
bohunr and Waynzee like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes BD on the sights, that is where we are at. It can be done, but I would think on a mass produced rifle they would be closer than they are. The frizzen opened so hard, it would trash a flint in about 5 or 6 strikes with no spark (surprise!). Like I said, for the average consumer it would be a terrible experience!
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 03:18 AM
The Man

I don`t know much about muzzleloaders , but would a good local black powder or regular gunsmith be able to help out . I know it would be extra money to have it worked on , but it might save a little aggravation to let him work on it or call Lyman up and complain about it and see if they could help fix it. good luck
bohunr, kswiggy and Waynzee like this.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 07:14 AM
The Man

I'm hearing this with not only muzzys but allot of new guns.The quality is gone.
Muzz, coyotejohn, bohunr and 3 others like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post

I got caught up in that one. My GPR had to be exchanged, then the barrel replaced under that recall, and as of yesterday, I still can't get it shooting consistantly enough to hunt with it. One inch @ 50yds one day, 5+" the next. My old Traditions Pa Pellet I started flint with was a shooter straight from the box, actually a tac driver. My GPR has an L&R lock because the factory one was as bad as this replacement barrel.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:02 AM

That surprises me too. My GPR shot great out of the box, but as Dave said, mine is an old one I bought new many years ago. A co-worker just asked me last week what flintlock I would recommend and I told him to get a GPR... I'll have to tell him to hold off on that one.
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Regular Visitor

If the GPR adjustable rear sight is the problem (they are poorly made) then you may want to consider what I did. I made the adjustable rear sight into a fixed rear sight. Remove the tiny adjustment spring and screw the adjustment screw down tight. I had to insert a thin plastic shim under the left rear to obtain a reasonable degree of the sight being centered. I then applied red locktite to the front rotation pin and the gap (left & right). I had to stone a small amount off of the front sight to get it sighted in at 50 yds. For my eyes I had to open up the rear sight gap to get more light, left & right, on the front sight. After all of this my GPR does shoot well.

I never attempted to install the fixed rear sight that comes with the GPR because I have read several horror stories about it not fitting without alteration,

The original stock was very nice but for the severe cosmetic defect near the butt plate. Dixon's replaced that stock under warranty.

After all of the above I am happy with my GPR. But, Investarms/Lyman don't appear to consider Quality Control to be important to them.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Regular Visitor

Bought a Lyman deer stalker for my daughter last year, couldn't ever really get it shooting well. Tried many, many combinations. Round balls shot best. Shooting it again today. We will see.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

Best off to look around and see if ya can find an older used one when the GPR was of good quality or an older T/C Hawken. A friend of mine just bought an older CVA Mtn. Rifle that puts patched round balls in a tight cloverleaf group with shots touching for $200.
bohunr and blackpowder like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page