How long to leave BP in you barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

How long to leave BP in you barrel?

Just wondering,, if I load my T/C Hawken and leave it outside or someplace cold and dry, how long could I leave it loaded with real B.P.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:42 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Just wondering,, if I load my T/C Hawken and leave it outside or someplace cold and dry, how long could I leave it loaded with real B.P.?

If the rifle is in a dry place you can leave it about as long as you want to. Black powder is not corrosive until its burned.
As for will the charge go off, yup. Long as its dry it would fire in a hundred years. BP has no shelf life. Now I'm talking about the black powder we load our rifles with. Not the Black Powder that can be found posting here abouts. He may well have a shelf life. You'd have to ask Mrs. BP about that.
Here is something else to consider. Some guys like to use prelubed and cut patches like OX Bow makes. Nothing wrong with them there fine. But I have seen where that lube and other lubes can effect powder over time left down the bore. What I do is when loading, say the night before buck season or flintlock, I dump in my powder, then take a small piece of brown paper and fold it over so its two layers just large enough to stay right going down my bore. I put my patched round ball on top of that. The tiny bit of moose milk I use on my patch wont ever effect my powder and it does not change accuracy a bit. Not at the ranges I can shoot a deer anyway.

Some like to put a toothpick in the touch hole while the rifle is stored. I do that. I don't know if it helps or not but it doesn't hurt and the tooth pick will come in handy some time after you eat a steak.

Just my opinions for what they are worth. Maybe somebody else will weigh in.
Good luck. Good hunting.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 12-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Heck, at 62 I am in my prime
bohunr, jarentz, Waynzee and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage

So many variables to consider: Is there any oil or lube residue in barrel, is the patch resting on charge heavily lubed, is gun stored in dry environment, is it taken from cold to warm conditions etc etc. If your loaded charge is as airtight/dry as your black powder can(likely not)....no time limit. Personally, I find it ok for a week or so but hesitate storing beyond that as I always strive for optimum ignition on that hard earned shot. Good question/pointers here!!
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 PM

If the bore is cleaned and lubed, no powder fouling, a long time. I had one sit for 7 years loaded, touch hole plugged, and it fired first try.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
If the rifle is in a dry place you can leave it about as long as you want to. Black powder is not corrosive until its burned.
As for will the charge go off, yup. Long as its dry it would fire in a hundred years. BP has no shelf life. Now I'm talking about the black powder we load our rifles with. Not the Black Powder that can be found posting here abouts. He may well have a shelf life. You'd have to ask Mrs. BP about that.
Here is something else to consider. Some guys like to use prelubed and cut patches like OX Bow makes. Nothing wrong with them there fine. But I have seen where that lube and other lubes can effect powder over time left down the bore. What I do is when loading, say the night before buck season or flintlock, I dump in my powder, then take a small piece of brown paper and fold it over so its two layers just large enough to stay right going down my bore. I put my patched round ball on top of that. The tiny bit of moose milk I use on my patch wont ever effect my powder and it does not change accuracy a bit. Not at the ranges I can shoot a deer anyway.

Some like to put a toothpick in the touch hole while the rifle is stored. I do that. I don't know if it helps or not but it doesn't hurt and the tooth pick will come in handy some time after you eat a steak.

Good luck. Good hunting.
I'll run a dry patch down the bore before I load it to make sure most of the oil is out the barrel, then pour powder down followed by a prelubed patched round ball. I like the idea of a piece of paper between the patch and powder that'll help and I've been putting a tooth pick in the touch hole for a few years now. Thanks for the tip. Also I kind of thought that you could leave your muzzle loader with the powder in it so long as it was stored in a dry cool place but wasn't quite sure. At the end of the season I'll shoot it and clean it real good unless I get the sights on a deer before that.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

Last edited by Waynzee; 12-15-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post

Good luck. Good hunting.
Only a true professional/expert like BD can educate with a touch of humor like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Regular Visitor

That indefinite shelf life of BP is one of the hazards of handling old flintlocks, particularly if you hang them over the fireplace mantel. It has happened that flintlocks loaded over a hundred years before have cooked off.

Always a good idea, when dealing with old muzzleloaders, to measure the length of the free bore and then use that to check whether the bore is truly empty. It was common practice to leave them loaded. To measure, run the ramrod down the bore until it stops, then mark where the ramrod exits the muzzle. Next, remove the ramrod from the bore and lay the ramrod alongside the outside of the barrel with the mark you made even with the muzzle. See where the other end of the ramrod winds up. If it's all the way down to the breech, you're unloaded.

FWIW, a gunsmith friend up here in Maine was called in to get an old muzzleloader found in the attic of a 200 year-old house. The muzzle was plugged with a couple inches of goose grease. Behind the grease, the bore was perfect. It also was loaded.

"A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
Frederick Douglass, speech in Williamsport, November, 1867.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:39 PM

"I've been putting a tooth pick in the touch hole for a few years now."

Try using a bird feather. Cut down the quill where the feathers are and shorten it to the point where it fits into the touch hole then nip of the feathers just leaving a very fine stubble. That stubble will act as a brush when you take it out of the flash hole giving you (hopefully) a nice path way for the pan flash to travel down to the main charge.
I was using a toothpick for a while then a buddy had one break off in the flash hole so I switched to bird feathers.

Just a thought.
Waynzee likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage

As some posted you can leave loaded for many, many years and it will still go "bang"!! When mine goes "bang" on a hard earned shot it will have a reasonably fresh load providing optimum performance. To each their own but considering miniscule cost of a reload...a nobrainer to me.
flintlock hunter likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page