Best Flints - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Best Flints

After shooting a buck last year with my flintlock, I'm getting fired up for the late season. I got my T/C Hawkens 50 cal out and getting her tuned up for the upcoming season. I have a snuff can full of black flints I've had forever and was wanting to see what flints people think are the best. Thinking about also replacing the frizzen this year.

The older I get the better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Black English

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought this Hawkens new back in the late 70's and it has the old style lock assembly and it's always been an average sparker. Seems to be mixed reviews about replacing the frizzen to increase sparking, I've read where several have replaced their frizzen and the spark got worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
I bought this Hawkens new back in the late 70's and it has the old style lock assembly and it's always been an average sparker. Seems to be mixed reviews about replacing the frizzen to increase sparking, I've read where several have replaced their frizzen and the spark got worse.

Judgement call. This is just my opinion for what its worth, but I don't think there is any where near as many "soft" or bad frizzens out there as there is just other minor things hampering good spark.

First thing i see is that some shooters don't realize you ought not to just put the flint in the cock and tighten it up. The flint should be adjusted so that when your rifle is on half cock the flint should just about but not quite be touching the frizzen. Some rifles do better with the flint bevel up, some do best with it turned down. The flint ought to strike your frizzen on the top two thirds of the frizzen so it gets a good long strike.

Another thing that slows down locks is over tightening. When you tighten the bolt that holds the lock on it should only be snug enough that there is no sideways play and no gap or crack between pan and barrel. Over tightening the lock bolt can slow the strike way down. Some of these locks are not over thick or strong and can actually flex a little when over tightened causing drag.

And clean your frizzen up often. I use alcohol an give it a polish often. While your at it clean your flint edge.
I do this every 5 or 6 shots and when I'm hunting I dry my frizzen every time I check or change my pan powder.
Last, keep a edge on your flint. A small brass rod works well for this. If adjusted right you ought to get dozens of shots from a flint. Actually many more than that. It aint so much the"kind" of flint as the placement and shape.

Hope others with more knowledge than I can help.
Good luck. Good hunting.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 12-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

English flints work best for me, I always rough up my frizzen with 80 Grit sand paper, I also make a flint sharpener with a brass rod or square piece of brass. Just file a L shaped notch in the end about 1/16 deep, Cover or block the touch hole so no spark can light it. oooooo___ 1/16 from top of o to the line the 00's are the rod
A screwdriver handle works good as a hammer. When the flint dont spark good, just put the rod on the top of the flint and gently tap all across it. The flint must be in with the flat side up. You will be amazed how much it changes.

Good luck, Stant
Pa.Bone likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use the Tom Fuller English Flints from Track of the Wolf. Never had a problem with them.
Loggy, crazyjjk, Ron pa and 4 others like this.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
I use the Tom Fuller English Flints from Track of the Wolf. Never had a problem with them.
All I ever use!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Regular Visitor

I'm using English flints from Dixon's. I agree that setup is key and with the setup description above. A flint striking low makes less spark and the frizzen coversion the pan too long. Top half of frizzen strike makes more spark and pushes it out of the way sooner so spark can drop into the pan.
Pa.Bone likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:38 PM
The Man

Left to right and they are all good for aprox 80 shots.Black English,French Amber,and American Chert.
Pictures 227 by t410er, on Flickr
jarentz and Pa.Bone like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

There's a muzzleloader shop in Beaver County called Shablesky's and I plan on stopping by on Friday to see what flints they sale. Also need some 4f powder and plan on putting a sling on my flintlock this year. I shot that buck last year from a tree stand and plan on hunting more this year from a tree. Just plan on adding the lace up boot kind for pulling the flinter up and hanging off my bow hook once in the tree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page