1st For This Father ???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

1st For This Father ????

<span style="color: #000000">Ok--last season my wife gave me the ok after much nagging by me to take my son along with me for a deer hunt...One of the best days a father could have. This year his maturity has bounced around like a basketball despite his IQ of upper 140s (smart boy)but I will be taking him for his first youth mentor hunt. I will try to get him accurate well before using my 54 cal flintlock. (Lyman Great Plains) He is on cloud nine. I am as well (My father never took me huting, movies, anywhere exciting for that matter) I have been a different dad to my kids.
Question 1----It looks to me that he can harvest a buck with hhis tag or a doe with mine???
Question 2 He is 10 and thin build. What would be a good charge to start a boy with and what might the lowest charge that would ethically harvest a deer? I have hunted for many years myself and feel I am a seasoned and ethical hunter...but teaching my son is a new ball of wax.
</span>

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
The Man

Re: 1st For This Father ????

I found in the past that kids can hit a target dot real well.The key is "where is the vitals on a deer".
1)Get them to shoot those photo deer targets so they know where the vitals are.
2)Watch videos.Give the kid a lazer pointer and freeze frame.Ask them where they woud aim.Get them to use the pointer.
My dad,almost 40yrs ago,told me to follow the leg up and go back a little.1st deer I did. . . . and gut shot it.Never did get it.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure on the loads Bunky since I just started with a flintlock a few years ago but I want to wish you and your son the best of luck thus year and if he is anything like his dad well then those deer will be safe Had to say it but seriously wish you all the best this hunting season and may he get 1 be it buck or doe.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM

i started my son out with 45grains bunky he was doin real good till i up the powder so we went back to 45 grs told him thats what he was going to hunt with .but i changed it to 60grains for hunting without tellin him ,he did get a nice doe that year.i did tell him that i up the powder and everything thing was in his head about the gun kicking by the way it was a gpr 50 cal

hate hang fires
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would think a 50 yard, or under, shot would offer your son his best opportunity to harvest his first whitetail. To accomplish this harvest with your .54 cal. flintlock, I would limit his load to 45-50 grains of FFFg. behind a .530 or .535 patched round ball. The patched (.015).535 round ball might offer the tightest group, but your range time will be the final factor.

Best wishes to you and your son for a successful first encounter with a flintlock!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dale----now thats funny!!!!! LOL
Mountainman---great idea! I had thoughts of 40 gr of 3F to start then up it to 50. The Lyman is nice in that there is not much kick even with those loads.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
DeColores
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 AM

ditto on Berks. When I started my dad took me out and handed me a 12 ga with high brass and threw a soda can up and said fire! I didn't even have it on my shoulder proper. It darn near knocked me off balance and He laughed (I guess it was funny) Just wasn't a confidence builder.

I frequently start youngins with a 30 grain load in a 50 cal if they are short statured or a 58 if more adult sized. Then after they feel confident 5 or 6 shots, work up to another string with 40 grains and then 50. Frankly, 60 or 70 grains in a lyman GPR doesn't kick much IF IT FITS.

If it doesn't fit him, the recoil is worse. An interesting alternative, would be to buy one of those Lyman GPR stock seconds that Dixon has for sale and cut an inch or two off the butt stock. You already have everything else. When i was there Saturday, he had about ten of them in a bin for sale.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Zimm good idea---I will pull the gun out tonight and see how it fits and how much I need to chop off. Might just chop off mine and get a new stock and stain it myself a little lighter in shade.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
DeColores
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM

The seconds he had, were finished,, still had some of the hardware and most had cracks of varying severity. I bought one years ago and fixed the crack to put together a gun for a relative. It would be pretty easy to chop off the second and put a flat butt plate on it. (My long rifle is a very "poor boy",, doesn't even have a butt plate.)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Zimm Im liking the idea of a flat butt plate myself. Thats exactly what I had in mind. Im going to check a few places to see if there are any stock avail cheap.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
DeColores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page