new to flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

new to flintlock

i had a bought a 50 cal. lyman great plains kit 3 years ago. i am now staining the stock and browning the barrel and parts. i am wondering what type of powder,bullets and flint to use. i have 2 weeks to get this flint loader done. i am excited to give this a try. thanks

Beretta 92FS is my side kick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Sage

Re: new to flintlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossycamo
i had a bought a 50 cal. lyman great plains kit 3 years ago. i am now staining the stock and browning the barrel and parts. i am wondering what type of powder,bullets and flint to use. i have 2 weeks to get this flint loader done. i am excited to give this a try. thanks
Being "new to flintlock" with gun not done plus never shot...I suggest you wait till next season if your talking about hunting deer in our Late Season just 2 weeks away.. It takes most several mths of multiple range visits to reach a responsible level to carry a flintlock in the field.

When your ready...most loads are within 70-90 grains 2fg w/.490 roundball and .015 patch is a good medium to start. Each gun is different.

As I said..it aint one or 2 times to the range type of thing..practice shooting over several mths learning this wonderful sport.

Best of luck!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your advice. but i am still going to give it a shot. i won't be shooting long distance. i will be sighting in about 50 yds. if i feel that i can't get a good load figured out i will wait. but as of right now i will be out there. thanks again.

Beretta 92FS is my side kick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 AM

Put some time in the range. You should be fine.
If you can find someone local to join you at the range that will help.

I remember picking up a TC Hawken. It was dead on at 50yds right out of the box.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossycamo
My GPR likes a .490 ball, a .018 patch, and 80 grains of 2f.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

May I suggest you start your sighting in a 10 yards first. Then 15, 20, and 25. I started with the Lyman Great Plains In a 54 cal and she likes 70-80 gr of 3F and a 530 ball with a .015 patch. That said yours will like a 490 ball and a 015 patch for hunting with 70-80 gr of 3F GOEX. I would not suggest a shot at 50 yards with that new gun till you put at least 50 balls through her consistantly at 50 yards in say a pie plate....JMHO A flintlock is not like a modern day gun----I dont know what you expertise is with a flintlock---Im assuming this is your first and the suggestions thus represent that. To hunt with a primitive weapon is addictive and once you switch you will be hooked like the rest of us. Do yourself a favor and if you are new to the sport keep your shots well under 50 yards to start this season. When you get very comfy with the gun then reach out a bit more. My hunting shots as well as many here will not go beyond 50 yards--not because we cant but we hunt with the animal in mind.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 AM

I would start at 70gr FF in the tube with a mixi hunter or maxi ball and ffff in the pan (Goex powder). Bring your cleaning suppies to the range and keep the bbl clean and cool between shots, and just have FUN!!!

One thing I did learn early on, after 3-4 times to the range I was shooting fine out to 50 yards. But my first shot at a deer was at dusk. There is a big difference between havig that pan ignite several inches from your face during the daylight and dusk. Boy did I flinch from that flash!!! If you have a chance, shoot around dusk at least once.

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky
May I suggest you start your sighting in a 10 yards first. Then 15, 20, and 25. I started with the Lyman Great Plains In a 54 cal and she likes 70-80 gr of 3F and a 530 ball with a .015 patch. That said yours will like a 490 ball and a 015 patch for hunting with 70-80 gr of 3F GOEX. I would not suggest a shot at 50 yards with that new gun till you put at least 50 balls through her consistantly at 50 yards in say a pie plate....JMHO A flintlock is not like a modern day gun----I dont know what you expertise is with a flintlock---Im assuming this is your first and the suggestions thus represent that. To hunt with a primitive weapon is addictive and once you switch you will be hooked like the rest of us. Do yourself a favor and if you are new to the sport keep your shots well under 50 yards to start this season. When you get very comfy with the gun then reach out a bit more. My hunting shots as well as many here will not go beyond 50 yards--not because we cant but we hunt with the animal in mind.
Solid advice...

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like to look at my flintlock the same as my archery equipment.I like to keep all shots close,therefore I use my archery stands in muzzleloader season also.I have hunted with a flinter since early 90's and it is the season I most look forward to each year.Two weeks is not realistically enough time to become proficient with a primitive weapon,HOWEVER if you wish to hunt this seaon,pleaes consider using my ARCHERY = FLINTER equation.This may ADD up to the start of something great...Good luck and keep your powder dry.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 AM

wait til next year to hunt with it...

3D/3C/5C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page