6Likes
  • 3 Post By Buckskin Dave
  • 2 Post By 410-er
  • 1 Post By blackpowder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Round or maxi balls

.50 Hawken always shot round balls with patch. Heard maxi balls leave better blood trails & more accurate. Haven't muzzleloader hunted in quite some time. Opinions on should I switch to maxi balls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I always had better accuracy w/ the lubed maxi ball. Then we were forced to go to the patch & ball. Now that we can use maxis again, I went back to them.

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 PM
The Man

never used maxi balls , always used round balls .always had good luck with the round balls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:24 PM

Mabel, my 50 cal caplock wore a few different barrels over the years, the two in question were both 1:48 twist, and 28 inches long.

The first barrel shot 370gr Maxis/90grs Goex incredibly well, and they did indeed leave quite a visable blood trail. Her first replacement barrel didn't shoot maxi balls anywhere nearly as well, but a.495 round ball with an .020 patch over 80grs of FFG and she was back to dropping deer again, but the blood trails didn't seem as heavy.

I would say the hunter needs to have confidence in the equipement, and whatever load chain your rifle takes a shine to, so long as you are as comfortable with it as the gun, that's the one you should hunt with.

Interesting fact concerning a 1:48 twist in a 50 cal muzzleloader.....It is the twist the Hawken Bros used in each of their rifles, not for the reason we look to it today of shooting patched ball or maxi ball reasonably well, but only because it was the only one they had the tooling for.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 09-10-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Patched round balls are plenty accurate and will kill any thing we hunt in Pa. I shoot all my deer with PRB and I cant remember ever having to track one.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:40 PM
The Man

I have used both.
I have killed with both.
Both give same blood trail as when hit with my 58 caliber with 120grs FFg.
My 45's with either maxi or RB with this charge give more bang/flop than my,50,54,or 58.
Use what you can hit EXACTLY what you are aiming at with the 1st shot out of a clean barrel !
Same gun,same charge,Maxi left RB right at 50 yds.TC Seneca 45 caliber 50grs FFFg.
DSCF1897 by t410er, on Flickr
blackpowder and Buckskin Dave like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

410-er is spot on! The first shot out of a clean barrel is key, after that it doesn't much matter
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have shot quite a few TCs and have found maxi balls to be better than PRB. All of my shooting with sidelock mz has been with 54 cal for the last 10 years or so. I like the Remington bullets and TC Maxi Hunters. But, all in all, the 295 gr Powerbelts are the most consistent. This year I am going to try to get away from them and go with a PRB in a 1:66 barrel. First RB barrel I have had and really like it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Regular Visitor

I like the maxi's for hunting without a doubt ..... but there are some good shooting rifles out there throwing round balls so I would not say they were "more accurate"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since You are asking with a .50 cal, a third option is a Hornady PA Conical. I like them myself as a change-up, especially in barrels with a slower twist. And I also shoot them out of my pistols.

At 240 grains, it is somewhat of a cross between a round ball @ 176 gr and a maxihunter @ 350gr.

https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloadin...-pa-conical#!/

"those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page