CVA Plainsman flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

CVA Plainsman flintlock

Picked up one today at Dixon's for $150. .50 caliber, wood stock with a nice trigger and good sparking lock.
Someone put a horrid set of fiber op sights on her. Gonna cobble up a blade and aperture set-up a.s.a.p.
The bore and crown are excellent. Just a touch of finish wear on the edges of the lands.
The lock doesn't have a bridle, but is set up for one. Are these available? I know the rifle's been out of production for some time. The last 2 digits of the serial number is 98. I assume that's year of production.
The hammer/ tumbler/ lock plate is good and tight. Be nice if it stays that way...
A lot less play than any of the TC locks I've had. Funny that.
She's light, well built and points very naturally.
I'm hopeful for good results. Haven't had the best luck with flinters. TC and Lyman's. Hopefully a humble little CVA will do the trick.
Anyone shooting one of these? How's it working for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 PM
The Man

Try it and see.....

Been a WHOOOOOOLE lotta venison taken with a "humble little CVA".

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Handsome rifle ya got there.
Nice herd of doe too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Nice and light are my kinda words anymore ! I have a Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock that is even getting on the heavy side !! You done good, let us know how it shoots.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Well, I took her to the range and several things became clear.
The lock throws more than enough spark! But I was still getting a noticeable delay in ignition. Primed the pan 1/2 full with ( old) Goex 4f.
I was shooting some 230 gr Hornady XTP's in Harvester crush ribs with 70 gr of 3F Swiss. That load gives 1633 fps from my 24 inch Firehawk. I expect at least the same from this one, with 2 more inches of barrel. Btw, she backs up right smart!
Am currently out of .490s, but will try them too.
I made a beeswax dam between the pan and barrel. Even though it isn't large, the wax didn't help. She got pretty fouled. Durned slotted vent liner...
Anyway... Fired 10 rounds to get acquainted. Best was 1 5/8. Worst was a little over 5. 3 rounds at 50 yards.
I don't do my best with flinters and I'm hoping I can break the jinx with this one.
I'm a 100% muzzleloader hunter and hope to master the flinter. What's the trick? I don't overprime and I know she won't bite me. I also know its physically impossible to flinch as a well tuned lock fires, so I'm doing it before.
Deer are blessed with blood and breath. Targets dont bleed. Before this one goes for a walk, I need the same confidence I have with my Thunderhawk and Firehawk.
I have taken one deer with a flintlock. A Green Mountain ball barreled TC Hawken. Powder piggy! Made a 115 yard shot on a pie bald, no nuts button buck. Broke his neck.
Was aiming for his chest...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would start with checking the inletting of the lock. The top of the flash pan should visually "split" the flashhole liner in the center of the hole. Also, most of my flinters have the flashpan polished to a mirrorlike finish, seems to help on a couple.

Also pretty important is to eliminate any gaps, both between the lock and barrel,(including frizzen to barrel), and between frizzen and pan. To check frizzen/pan gap remove the lock, hold it up to a light, and there should be no light visible where the frizzen/pan surfaces mate. Any gaps could cause two things. The 4F could fall out of the pan, and/or fall inside the area where the lock and barrel meet. A stiff breeze could also empty the pan through that gap.

Normally "less is more" with pan powder, my entry level Traditions is a little fussy, wants a single hit from the priming flask banked away from the barrel. My Great Plains Rifle has an L&R lock, does not care about how much pan powder is in it, nor how it is positioned in the pan. Both guns go off nearly as fast as a caplock.

I hope this smidgeon of information helps you clear up that slow ignition problem.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Flintlock hunter is providing you with great advice. The high polishing of the lock pan also goes a long way to help prevent moisture from settling in any "mountains\valleys" of the pan.

When hunting, if I've already taken a shot (who....me miss??) I will use a small alcohol wipe patch (buy 'em at the pharmacy....those little packets of wipes for people who give themselves injections) and clean the pan. I open the patch....squeeze the bulk of the alcohol out and then wipe all residue from the pan and under the frizzen. BP residue will attract air moisture like blood does a shark. The alcohol dries almost instantly no matter what the outside temp is. Re-prime and get ready to miss.....errrr.....take your next shot!!

Flint hunting is just plain fun. Enjoy your rifle!!!
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

I really like Steeltraps idea with the little alchohol wipes! I use it to swab between shots at the range, but never thought of those little packs in the deer stand. Great idea!!!

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks all.
The touch hole is nicely centered and slightly high on the pan. Will definately polish the pan too.
I use rubbing alcohol on my between shot patches.
The 4f I have is OLD. Price tag says $9.29... The fellow who gave it to me had a damp basement...
Will try a Swiss 3f prime next time. Finest I have and its fresh.
Will also look into a hex type touch hole liner. The slotted one angles from 10-3:00 so it directs the flash right where I don't want it to go.
Will report back after next range trip.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

The hex type of flash hole will help lot. I swapped out my older T\C with a hex type years ago and it worked much better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page