Flintlock Rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Flintlock Rifle

Earlier this month I went to the French & Indian War encampment at the State Gamelands near Muddy Run Recreation Park in Lancaster County. Was smitten with the beautiful Flintlock Rifles I saw. I am cleaning out the gun cabinet and have some very nice hunting rifles that I would be willing to trade along with additional cash for one of these flintlocks. Not interested in the TC or Lyman rifles. More interested in one that was built by a craftsman relicating this era. If anyone would be interested let's talk. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Part of the Community

Well these rifles do make one a little crazy ...
I recommend for you to attend the Dixon Gunmakers Fair the last weekend in July , Kempton PA .
Many craftsmen and builder (including myself) will be set up for the 3 days ... You might just find the perfect gun there !!

In addition , I build flintlocks rifles fulltime and am always happy to talk to new clients .
If you wanna , feel free to contact me .

Call or text -570-713-8348
email- [email protected]

Allen Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040941.JPG (285.0 KB, 42 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

What would a rifle in the picture cost me? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Also highly recommend going to Dixon's in July. It's like 2 months away, so your timing is good.

Have patience with this search, and enjoy the process. There's lots to learn, and the community of builders and craftsmen and shooters/enthusiasts is very welcoming and helpful to new folks.

Go to Dixon's, talk to folks, and learn and see all you can. I live only a few minutes from Dixon's and will be at the fair, as will quite a few HPA members. Hit us up if you need help or want to bounce ideas off folks.

Last edited by tdd; 05-27-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typos
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

First of all, thank You for Your service!

And yep, Dixon's in July and Artisans Show in Feb.

To see a bit of the diseas... er I men hobby You are about to partake, the first link will show You the basic types, and the following link shows the many styles of Pennsylvania longrifles.

Longarm Types

PA Longrifles

Welcome to the Dark Side!

If Democrats don't want foreigners involved in our elections, why do they think it's all right for illegal immigrants to vote?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Part of the Community

I have many more pictures of this gun .. if you email me , I'll be happy to send you a bunch ....
I'm selling this rifle for a widow lady for $6500

A custom order for a similar gun today is $7500 to $8000.
Prices start at around $3500 for a swamped barreled Schimmel (plain - unadorned) but with a nice curly maple stock , great lock and a single trigger.
All built to fit you !!!

Allen ..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

US army Retired,
Take the good advice from Allen. Visit Dixon and maybe one or two other Gunmakers shows. Do you just want to shoot, reenact, hunt or a combination of it all. If reenacting, how early is your history start. A good "Rule of Thumb" for it is; if the style existed in that time it fits. a half stock Hawken wasn't in the Rev War period, it's wrong; But the Early Lancaster may have been passed in a family & is around as late as the early Fur Trade, passable. Visit a Library for a few hours some free night and look at books with pictures of on these firearms. Take time at home to search you minds eye and figure what you want to be, represent, have. Get YOUR head straight as to what tickles your desire and need.
Buying a custom firearm is like getting your desired auto. Basic, Add AC, GPS, Backup camera, proximity warning buzzers, fog lights, power seats & windows & door locks etc.etc.etc. It all adds to the total; But also to the ultimate value. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Your firearm adds are, but not limited too: plain or fancy and how detailed, incised carving, relief carving, or combo of both; same on the metal parts; inlaid with Steel,brass, silver, German silver and plain, carved either way etc. The choices are endless. Don't let a high dollar cost scare you off, it's also going to APPRECIATE in value over time. Just don't abuse it. They are made to be used. Until you build a gun from parts or scratch, your knowledge of what goes into it is limited. I do guns for myself and may sell it after years of having and I decide it's time to make another. I have an Early Lancaster in the white. I'm deciding whether to leave it as is and finish it plain; Or, do light incise or more tedious relief carving. I have fancy and am leaning toward plain. But these are mine, for me. Here's the pic of the in white, and others I've done:
[IMGhttp://]

[IMG]

tdd and BuckStalker like this.

'Mad Irish' Jack O'Donnell
I started hunting as a youngster. Yeah, I saw BAMBI. I got over it!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Offer stands to walk around Dixon's with you (or anyone) who feels overwhelmed or intimidated because it's something different/new. I'm happy to help if i can.
Six-Gun and flintlock hunter like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Will be at Dixons gun fair Fri and Sat. Maybe Sunday morning. Always willing to meet up with people

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I did the same thing when I started to build my early Lancaster back in 2005. still building it today, lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05771.JPG (894.7 KB, 10 views)
Laylow and flintlock hunter like this.

exocet w/STS, ground pounder
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in