L&R Lock company - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

L&R Lock company

I put an L&R RPL3 lock in my TC Renegade 2 years ago. Initially, I loved the thing. But within the first year, the frizzen pivot screw snapped twice! Then this spring I noticed the frizzen was loose, so I disassembled it and found the frizzen screw was bent! That was enough of that. Emailed L&R's customer service department and they said they were aware of the problem and I should mail it in for a repair/upgrade.
Long story short, I dropped it in the mail and received it back in under a week. Not only did they convert it to a new thicker frizzen screw, but also re-fit and polished the pan. Hard to find great customer service like that from a company that stands behind their product anymore. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone was thinking of going with L&R.
Loggy, crazyjjk, jimsdad and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have two L&R's. One on my pistol build and the other on my .54 Cal Leman build. They both work very well. It's an easy comparison if you shoot a F\L with an L&R vs a T\C lock. I also have a T\C Hawken (who doesn't or at least did at some point) and the quality of locks is easy to compare.
jimsdad likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
I have two L&R's. One on my pistol build and the other on my .54 Cal Leman build. They both work very well. It's an easy comparison if you shoot a F\L with an L&R vs a T\C lock. I also have a T\C Hawken (who doesn't or at least did at some point) and the quality of locks is easy to compare.
Yes, I noticed a fairly significant difference in both speed and reliability. I also love the narrow, "sealed" pan on the L&R.
Also put a Davis trigger on this gun, but didn't really gain much by doing that.
A white lightening liner is about all I have left that I could upgrade but I'm hesitant to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce280 View Post
A white lightening liner is about all I have left that I could upgrade but I'm hesitant to do that.
I think the only advantage the Chambers White Lightening liner provides would be if the pan powder flashes and the main charge doesn't go off. It's very rare that I have that condition.

FWIW
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:00 PM

If you're looking for a better touchhole I'd suggest the one below. Because of the hex socket it acts like a venturi. That on my TC did wonders. Plus, it's way easier to remove than those slotted liners.

https://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetai...ments/10095/84

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

I have that liner in the gun now. Heard great things about the white lightening cause it puts the main charge as close to the pan as possible.
zimmerstutzen likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce280 View Post
I put an L&R RPL3 lock in my TC Renegade 2 years ago. Initially, I loved the thing. But within the first year, the frizzen pivot screw snapped twice! Then this spring I noticed the frizzen was loose, so I disassembled it and found the frizzen screw was bent! That was enough of that. Emailed L&R's customer service department and they said they were aware of the problem and I should mail it in for a repair/upgrade.
Long story short, I dropped it in the mail and received it back in under a week. Not only did they convert it to a new thicker frizzen screw, but also re-fit and polished the pan. Hard to find great customer service like that from a company that stands behind their product anymore. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone was thinking of going with L&R.
Once you have an L&R you never look back!

My GPR factory lock acted like they used sandpaper as a lube, and the frizzen/pan was so bad I wasnt able to file enough off to mate the two.... Called Track of the Wolf and ordered an L&R.

Had a minor issue with flints breaking, and like you, turnaround was under a week!

After re-inletting to fit and adjust to allow the flash hole to be properly aligned it now goes off as fast as a caplock no matter how little or much 4f is in the pan.

I cant say enough good things about L&R Locks!
Buckskin Dave and CleoW like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:54 AM
Banned

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
Once you have an L&R you never look back!

My GPR factory lock acted like they used sandpaper as a lube, and the frizzen/pan was so bad I wasnt able to file enough off to mate the two.... Called Track of the Wolf and ordered an L&R.

Had a minor issue with flints breaking, and like you, turnaround was under a week!

After re-inletting to fit and adjust to allow the flash hole to be properly aligned it now goes off as fast as a caplock no matter how little or much 4f is in the pan.

I cant say enough good things about L&R Locks!

Ditto, My Lyman GPR 1/66 twist 50cal never was as reliable. Great upgrade, it's got to spark to ignite. CleoW

Last edited by CleoW; 05-04-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 AM

re the touch hole liners: You want the main charge powder as close as possible to the pan. The venturi description is great, but is mostly hot air. When loaded, you should be able to see granules of powder up against the interior of the touch hole and that should be almost to the exterior of the barrel flat. When the prime ignites, you want the shortest distance possible to the charge powder. It is a bit like grenades. the further away from the blast, the less damage. Now to some folks 1/16th or 3/32 of an inch is not that much difference in distance. But in the time it takes and the certainty of ignition, the closer the better. By time we are talking thousandths of a second. it it takes an extra 20 or 30 thousandths of a second, most shooters cannot hear the difference. But unless you have rock solid still follow through, the gun starts moving slightly with hammer fall. the quicker the ignition the less movement. Accuracy for match shooters comes from removing as many variables as possible. Careful powder measurement, measuring each ball to cull out those with voids. turning the patch the same direction each time, using the same thickness patch, the same lube etc. Why would a shooter create more distance than necessary between the prime and the main charge powder to create space for ignition time differences and barrel movement, however slight?
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

zimmerstutzen, while I dont see my ignition getting any faster than the L&R has managed to do, there is a certain amount of interest in your conviction that the White Lightning liners ability to move the main charge closer to the pan.

No matter the quality of the lock, a "flash in the pan" never escapes the thoughts when a deer is in the sights, and the trigger is being depressed. That flash hole liner is absolutely a great tool to enhance the overall reliability of even the most reliable flint lock.

"Hello, Track of the Wolf?"

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page