Flintlock extended - Page 9 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:26 PM
The Man

All this about rather seeing flintlock be able to take some in the fall is just the rabbit they want you to chase. They'll oppose it there also....because they have.

Limited tag draw...opposed. An increased AR..limited tag draw....opposed

The majority of the people opposing all of it... have a bow in one hand. It's happening right here in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Part of the Community

Noticed above in catching up on the thread where it was mentioned about 'packing them out'. Not positive, but fairly certain it is still illegal in PA to do so? I know it was not all that many years ago when I still used my wheelbarrow, and was when I purchased and re-furbed a used deer cart about 2012? While I was in the Harrisburg arena we attempted to get that provision changed, right up until mid 2009. Still think it is illegal? Since I do observe the law and regs to the letter, you'll find the deer cart chained and locked in the back of my truck all season. Since far more hunts end deerless than with animal, have trudged the distance to my 'spot' three times a few more times than more confident sportsmen
post #83 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
All this about rather seeing flintlock be able to take some in the fall is just the rabbit they want you to chase. They'll oppose it there also....because they have.

Limited tag draw...opposed. An increased AR..limited tag draw....opposed

The majority of the people opposing all of it... have a bow in one hand. It's happening right here in this thread.
I just don't get why you feel the need to constantly attack bowhunters. The majority of people out late season with flinters had a bow in their hand October and November. And a rifle in December. Every fellow flinter I personally know is an all-season deer hunter just out there taking advantage of a unique opportunity. Sorry you and the other 6 exclusive front-stuffers statewide are upset you don't have more opportunity. But keep attacking bowhunters, yeah, we are the bad guys alright!

Flintlock is designed by its very nature to be a marginalized season. If you don't like it go travel to all the other states that have flintlock seasons. Are there even any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
I just don't get why you feel the need to constantly attack bowhunters. The majority of people out late season with flinters had a bow in their hand October and November. And a rifle in December. Every fellow flinter I personally know is an all-season deer hunter just out there taking advantage of a unique opportunity. Sorry you and the other 6 exclusive front-stuffers statewide are upset you don't have more opportunity. But keep attacking bowhunters, yeah, we are the bad guys alright!

Flintlock is designed by its very nature to be a marginalized season. If you don't like it go travel to all the other states that have flintlock seasons. Are there even any?
This is coming from a bow hunter who sees no reason why the archery season cannot be extended...to Thanksgiving and beyond.

Archery in Pa was intended to be a marginalized opportunity also! Compare the two sports today. We have stayed marginalized, and another 2000+- buck taken during flintlock would still keep the ML sport the most marginalized deer hunting opportunity Pa. We could take 54,000 and still be less than archery was last year.

Whenever this subject is discussed, at what ever level, it's bow hunters primarily opposing it. It can be seen here. Who should I criticize....
post #85 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

This is coming from a bow hunter who sees no reason why the archery season cannot be extended...to Thanksgiving and beyond.

Archery in Pa was intended to be a marginalized opportunity also! Compare the two sports today. We have stayed marginalized, and another 2000+- buck taken during flintlock would still keep the ML sport the most marginalized deer hunting opportunity Pa. We could take 54,000 and still be less than archery was last year.

Whenever this subject is discussed, at what ever level, it's bow hunters primarily opposing it. It can be seen here. Who should I criticize....[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]
I hunt with a flintlock in flintlock season! I've even taken my flintlock for a walk in rifle season. You appear to not know me as well as you think you do!
post #86 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 PM
The Man

Quote:
I hunt with a flintlock in flintlock season! I've even taken my flintlock for a walk in rifle season. You appear to not know me as well as you think you do!
I know you well enough to know that archery is special to you. That no amount of time is too much, or buck being taken too many. You opposing this. Not hard to figure out why.

January....a buck illegal one day because it has antlers...cant flip the tag. Legal the next because the antlers dropped off, and the tag can be flipped. Makes a lot of sense.

People even oppose Ar's removed in the DMA's for flintlock season. Figure that out!
post #87 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I know you well enough to know that archery is special to you. That no amount of time is too much, or buck being taken too many. You opposing this. Not hard to figure out why.

January....a buck illegal one day because it has antlers...cant flip the tag. Legal the next because the antlers dropped off, and the tag can be flipped. Makes a lot of sense.

People even oppose Ar's removed in the DMA's for flintlock season. Figure that out!

I hear that. Bow is my favorite weapon. Followed by flinter. I honestly don't care for rifle much anymore but it is a tremendous season for beginners and people that can't dedicate the time I can, and I really love to mentor the rifle season.

I'm not an AR extremist. I just don't see the correlation what that has to do with bowhunting. If anything, being an all-season hunter I think the bucks that survive 3 months of hunting deserve more of a break. I think AR's have been good for balance. My family has boxes full of spikes and forkhorns and I certainly appreciate the happiness they brought at that point in time. But the past is the past, as we are learning here one day at a time. We also have some really nice bucks on the wall and I don't believe it is coincidence that 90% of those nice bucks have been killed since AR was implemented. AR hasn't turned PA into a trophy state, but there are now many more older bucks running around. Just a much better balance. Balance is great. If science could back that relaxing AR in late season would have no marked effect on upsetting the balance, I couldn't not support it. I haven't seen that evidence, nor have I seen any widespread call for such. I just see you attacking bowhunters and I don't understand why. I'm not the one standing in your way.

I'm a fellow flintlock hunter. If say we were joined as United Flintknockers of PA I would not support your initiative to upend AR for our own interest, that's all I'm saying.
post #88 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM
The Man

Quote:
If science could back that relaxing AR in late season would have no marked effect on upsetting the balance, I couldn't not support it. I haven't seen that evidence, nor have I seen any widespread call for such.
It's interesting how the science is everything until the science rubs a little too hard making little sense. Then the social desires become more important.

There is a study being conducted every year. It's called the archery harvest estimate. I've already asked the deer biologist......archery doesn't remove enough buck to harm the breeding ecology. They are certainly taking out more than 2000 buck between the time archery starts, and the rut moving into full mode!

Should every single buck that flintlock removed was in addition to what archery is removing, Rosenberry would be having a nervous breakdown over archery's harvest....being too close to the tipping point. He is not. He is completely comfortable with it.

I remember Alt saying if something proves wrong they can tweak it. It's time they tweaked the ML buck harvest. Given most people are inclined to allow flintlock to take more, the flintlock season provides the perfect place within the season lineup....and the calendar.
post #89 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It's interesting how the science is everything until the science rubs a little too hard making little sense. Then the social desires become more important.

There is a study being conducted every year. It's called the archery harvest estimate. I've already asked the deer biologist......archery doesn't remove enough buck to harm the breeding ecology. They are certainly taking out more than 2000 buck between the time archery starts, and the rut moving into full mode!

Should every single buck that flintlock removed was in addition to what archery is removing, Rosenberry would be having a nervous breakdown over archery's harvest....being too close to the tipping point. He is not. He is completely comfortable with it.

I remember Alt saying if something proves wrong they can tweak it. It's time they tweaked the ML buck harvest. Given most people are inclined to allow flintlock to take more, the flintlock season provides the perfect place within the season lineup....and the calendar.
You don't really seem to understand what I am saying. I am well aware of the social significance of the season structures. I just don't see the social significance of your thinking that bowhunters are your obstacle for more muzzleloader opportunity. That just ain't the case my friend. There will be more opportunity for all weapons as hunter numbers decline in the next couple decades.
post #90 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Part of the Community

I can’t find the “unlike” button
blackpowder likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page