Thinking about a kit gun or in the white - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about a kit gun or in the white

So I've posted a few times about wanting to get a small game gun. I had been thinking .36 caliber rifle, but I already have one of those that my dad built, so I have really been thinking fowler instead. I don't want anything with an extremely long barrel, and I found that Sitting Fox sells an Appalachian barn gun kit / built gun in a 12 gauge with a 28" barrel. I know that they probably aren't the most historically accurate pieces, but honestly I just want something I can carry for rabbits, shoot a few, and not worry too much about finish and swinging a 44" barrel past trees. Anyone have any experience with their kit guns? If I do get one, I'm considering ordering it in the white so that there's less messing around and I can just apply a finish then take it to the woods. I think it would depend mostly on how close to finished their guns come. I know that they start at $600, and you can have most of the major inletting done for another $150. Opinions?

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my North West Trade gun that I have had for 30 years has killed a ton of game. I have shot everything in PA except a bear and never got the chance. shot several ducks and geese with steel shot. it is a 20 gauge/.62 cal. with a 31" barrel. the plus side to a m/l is you can load it right up if you want, it just kick like a mule.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Last year I built a Leman from TOTW. I know I have at least 350 hours in the build. I purchased a pre-carve (not a pre-inletted) stock to start with. It's a .54 caliber and one very accurate rifle and a good looking one. For the cost, I have about $650 in it.....plus $40 for the book "The Gunsmith of Grenville." Don't build one unless you have a "how to" build like "Grenville."

The gun builder\gun kit maker Jim Kibler https://www.jimkibler.net makes a flinter kit for about $1,000 that requires very little inletting and fitting and the wood is quality....but requires final finish sanding, whiskering, and the finish of your liking.

If you do the math you can finish one of his quality rifles in about 50 or 60 hours. So....do the math. If it saves you 300 hours of labor and your final rifle is likely better than a scratch build....what's that worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you about doing the math Steeltrap, but that brings me to a question. Why do you choose scratch build over kit guns? I have to guess the math works out the same for all of us, so what is it that made you choose the kit over in the white? I feel like the question comes across a bit short, but it really isn't; I'm genuinely curious about it.

Blackpowder, did you buy a kit gun with the 31" barrel, or did you do some work on the barrel to shorten it up and do something custom?

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought the "pieces" many years ago and built it. the barrel is a north Star, which was and still is a quality barrel. it was that length when I got it, but I believe they are available in that range. it also is a very good rb shooter.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just looked and Track of the Wolf offers their 20 gauge in 30, 36 and 42 inch barrels.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

a picture of it from several years ago. the gun weigh's a little under 5 pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0[1].jpg (62.7 KB, 12 views)
loridr and Laylow like this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

My squirrel rifle has a 38" barrel. I'd be good with another few inches on there, too, to be honest.

Don't be afraid of longer rifles. They handle nicely.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I went with the TOTW kit as I wanted to tackle the build task. I'm retired and have the time to do it. To get a build right, there is a lot of thought that goes into it, obtaining the right tools, keeping carving tools "strop sharp" and measure....measure....measure.

I'm very happy with how the rifle came out. But I don't know if....at least right now....I'd be up to build another one from such a kit.

loridr and Laylow like this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah that was my worry too, time concerns with work and kid and dogs... just too much right now I think. I have the woodworking skills to do it, but I don't really have a ton of tools at the moment so I would be making an additional investment on top of the kit just to get started. There is an excellent series of videos on YouTube about building a Fusil de chasse and a Tennessee longrifle that I have been following and it looks like a load of fun to do, but so very time consuming and exact. My main worry is that I would be able to be patient in the early stages, but as the gun was closer to ready to fire I would rush things to get it done and mess something up. I am definitely thinking more in the white now. Thanks for the input everyone!

Edit: Steeltrap, I would be very happy myself if I had a rifle come out looking like that one does. That is a beautiful gun, and it's pretty much exactly the style I would like in a small caliber rifle. Good looking deer too
Steeltrap likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page