Anyone tried these? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Anyone tried these?

Was wondering if anyone has tried these, also want opinions on my intended use on a spring bear hunt.

I'm planning on carrying my TC Renegade cap gun this spring on my New Brunswick bear hunt. I've been wanting to do this for the past couple of hunts but have been reluctant due to the fear of spooking a bear cocking the gun and setting the trigger. I've tried practicing working the trigger while cocking, but the trigger is stiff and it's hard to do consistently. Additionally, even if I could cock it like that, the trigger pull is awful without setting the set trigger and there is no way to set it without the tell tale click. My thought is this devise will not only serve to help weatherproof the gun in case of wet weather, but would serve as a "safety" so I could sit on stand with the gun cocked and the trigger set. Waddaya think?

Nipple Covers & Replacement Nipples & "O" Rings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg percussion nipple cover.jpg (91.6 KB, 3 views)
Loggy and bigguy54 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 PM
The Man

Similar to a leather "shoe" for a flinter.You could leave it cocked and slip primmer on right before the shot with primmer holder.
Loggy likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

When I use a caplock with a threat of rain, or in the rain I do this.

Get some plastic wrap and rubber bands or electrical tape. With the hammar left unemcumbered, and the cap on the nipple, wrap the plastic wrap completely around the lock and the stock being careful not to puncture it, but tight enough to form a seal. Now lock it in place with the tape, fore and aft of the lock. Now your cap is water proofed...... cock and fire at will.

Another piece of plastic wrap covering the muzzle, (ONLY ONE LAYER), also secured by electrical tape will solve the problem of rain or snow down bore. It will not change POI.

Not traditional I realize, but super effective.
Loggy likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sitting with a muzzleloader cocked and trigger set is a very bad idea, set the trigger if you want, but dont cock it ahead of time.

And be sure your gloves wont trip the trigger while you ease your finger inside the trigger guard.
Loggy likes this.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 02-10-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Sage

Maybe have someone like Brad Emig in Hellam go over the lock? He tuned a few of my factory flinters and it really softened the sound plus the pull was very light/crisp compared to what came out of the factory. Some of the factory locks such as TC are almost unsuitable for use out of the box.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
Sitting with a muzzleloader cocked and trigger set is a very bad idea...

I certainly agree with an exposed cap, but my thinking is that since the above devise completely encapsulates the cap in brass, it would make it impossible for the hammer to strike the cap until the devise is removed. No?

Quote:
...set the trigger if you want, but dont cock it ahead of time....

It's possible to set the trigger without cocking the gun? Will that make a difference in how loud cocking the hammer is?
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I must confess that I was a Hunter Education Team Captain for nearly 20 years, so erring on the side of safety and caution is always foremost in my thinking.

Yes. That devise should serve as mentioned so long as the cap is not installed on the nipple. And I agree the trigger can be set reguardless of the hammar position, but I havent found the click of setting the trigger to scare off any but the closest deer.

Loggys suggestion of having the lock smoothed and tuned will work very well. I have done this to all mine,and it can make it lighter as well as quieter.

I still have a problem with a fully cocked muzzleloader untill at the very least the target is in sight, and headed to a shooting lane. How someone chooses to set up for an animal is up to them, but the nipple cover to me is only a weather proofing device which would need to be removed before a shot.

Whether caplock or flintlock, once I think the animal will come in for a clear shot, I "silent" cock the gun by depressing the trigger and fully cocking the hammar. I release the trigger while holding the hammar fully rearward, then SLOWLY lower the hammar untill I am certain its holds securely. At this point I set the trigger. It takes very little motion, and forces concentration.
USAF_SP, Loggy and bigguy54 like this.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
... I "silent" cock the gun by depressing the trigger and fully cocking the hammar. I release the trigger while holding the hammar fully rearward, then SLOWLY lower the hammar untill I am certain its holds securely. At this point I set the trigger. It takes very little motion, and forces concentration.
Well, like I said in my OP, I've practiced cocking like you're saying, but it's very difficult with my Renegade, the trigger is incredibly stiff without the hammer cocked.

Far as the sound of cocking and setting the trigger spooking game; I've killed a bunch of deer with this gun and with deer it's not an issue, but a bear at 15 or 20 yards on a bait is a whole 'nother story. I can't tell you how many times on these hunts guys with lever guns like the Marlins and such have spooked bears cocking the hammer on those guns.

Not sure how I'll solve this, I'm just tired of killing bears with my shotgun, and I've killed one with a crossbow; I really want to do it with the ML, really is the only reason I booked another hunt.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

[QU

Not sure how I'll solve this, I'm just tired of killing bears with my shotgun, and I've killed one with a crossbow; I really want to do it with the ML, really is the only reason I booked another hunt. [/QUOTE]

Go with your gut. I dont hunt bear, so I had no clue they reacted more so than deer. I do know when they pad in they are very quiet. If it were breezy/noisy I would be inclined to wait till I knew they were close, but thats me.

If the smithy can smooth out the lock, (my Renegade was pretty good from the start, just needed a lttle wearing in 40 yrs ago), if you are very careful and the arthritis isnt playing havok that day, once it is silent cocked you can actually set the trigger while holding both the trigger and hammar all the way back, then setting the trigger. Then let things forward as before. It works, takes two hands and a practice..... i have done it.

Try it, my old friend Bob Patterson, was able to do it with one hand, and eyes on the deer. Thats who taught me the trick. Make sure the lock is clean and lubed and please let me know how it goes.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 02-10-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM

A lot of times I have not even used the set trigger when hunting if the deer is inside 40-50 yds. I just silent cock. My "hunting" triggers usually break at 3 1/2 lbs. If further than 50 yds and need a little finer shooting due to longer distance (or target shooting) I will set. Set I usually have them set up to break at 2 lb or a little bit less. I don't even put my finger in the trigger guard until sight are lined up then.
flintlock hunter likes this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page