Jan 12th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Jan 12th

Last day in 2f. Went out til 11. Back in for lunch now. Stalked the hemlocks. Tracks everywhere but didn't see a tail. Gonna head to a blind at 3 that I've been saving for tonight. Good luck to all.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 PM

Good luck, sat until 10:00 this morning no deer seen. Going back out this afternoon until dark.

4B
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage

Hunting up in Sullivan today. Quiet this morning no deer seen. Back at truck warming up for afternoon hunt. Cold but no wind. Hoping for backstraps tonight but have a nice prime roast back at camp just in case! Best of luck to all out there this final day of flintlock season!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 01-12-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
Last day in 2f. Went out til 11. Back in for lunch now. Stalked the hemlocks. Tracks everywhere but didn't see a tail. Gonna head to a blind at 3 that I've been saving for tonight. Good luck to all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Good luck, sat until 10:00 this morning no deer seen. Going back out this afternoon until dark.

This figures guys. I got no tags left so this morning I'm just out for my everyday morning walk and came up on four bedded down about 9am. Good luck to every body still out there.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 01-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
This figures guys. I got no tags left so this morning I'm just out for my everyday morning walk and came up on four bedded down about 9am. Good luck to every body still out there.
My problem so far in the late season is seeing buck and more buck. Not that there is anything wrong with that but i dont have a tag for those lol. The doe i have seen so far have not presented a shot that i am comfortable with.

4B
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Went out this morning at daybreak. Took a break by a seat, and saw a group sneaking out of the brush. I was waiting for them to come out on the path, but the lead doe saw me. Had the gun up waiting for a clear shot. When she flicked her tail twice I decided she was too nervous and blew smoke. The rest didn't know where I was at and two almost ran me over, and two more walked across the trail 40 yards away while I'm reloading. The doe I shot at ran back the way it came from. So, go to take a look and 10 yards from where she was standing is a sapling about the size of my thumb sheared clean off(DANG NABIT). Find where she pushed off and there's blood. Go back and take a seat for 10 minutes and start tracking through the clearcut. Jumped her once between that cut and the next. Tracked through that clearcut and jumped her again. She finally went across a beaver pond, don't ask me how she didn't break through the ice. But I tried to put my weight on it and wouldn't hold. So, after 3 hours and about a mile plus of tracking with almost no blood at the end I called it off. I would have had to go out to the road to get around the pond and hope I found the same tracks. Saw three more on the way out, but I didn't even have the gumption to pick up the gun. Only thing I can come up with is that sapling took enough off the ball to not get much penetration, and I probably hit the shoulder. When I jumped her she wasn't limping and never tried to lay down. This is only the second deer in my life I've wounded and not found... And I'm PO'd!!!
10der222 and blackpowder like this.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well its all over. I saw 2 doe tonight. The big 8 has survived to see another season. My god is he gonna be unreal next year. Tear down the blinds tommorow and put out a few more cams. It sure was fun. Congrats to all who scored. 3.5 months til spring gobbler!
Buckskin Dave likes this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
Well its all over. I saw 2 doe tonight. The big 8 has survived to see another season. My god is he gonna be unreal next year. Tear down the blinds tommorow and put out a few more cams. It sure was fun. Congrats to all who scored. 3.5 months til spring gobbler!
And Morel season
blackpowder and Buckskin Dave like this.

4B
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

saw several today but it just didn't come together for any shots. watched three really nice gobblers, saw several squirrels, a lot of fox tracks and 2 fresh scraps from last night. the weather was beautiful today and everything seemed to be up and on the move. great day in the woods, but I am glad its over, too many miles on this old worn out body
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Saw more than 60 turkeys today, the number had to be closer to 80. Four of us went out today, we came home with four deer. It was a great end to the season. Saw lots of deer, lots of turkeys, a few squirrels, and we brought meat home for the freezer. The only downside is that the season is over! Oh well, time to return to the rabbits!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page