Smoothbore Hawken? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Smoothbore Hawken?

Has anyone ever dropped a smoothbore barrel in a T/C Hawken stock? From the limited research I've done it appears that .58 is as big as you can go to still fit. Looking to try to kill a turkey without spending a ton of money on a nice fowler, for the time being. Any advice is appreciated.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Sorry no experience in that area, but if you find anything out let me know. I have a Renegade I would LOOOOOVE to drop a smooth barrel in until I can afford a nice fowler (Northwest trade gun is what I really want, but man are flintlocks pricy!)

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I remember T/C making a smoothbore 56 cal many years back, but I cant remember whether it was a Renegade or a Hawken. Hope that helps.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You may want to check with Bobby Hoyt, in Fairfield, He could bore a barrel out or even make one for you

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
I remember T/C making a smoothbore 56 cal many years back, but I cant remember whether it was a Renegade or a Hawken. Hope that helps.
I have one ,new never fired,Its a renegade cap lock. I have all the components laying here to load and fire it ,just never got the urge to load her up.

I think if it were flintlock it would be more appealing to me. I don't know for sure but think they were only offered in Cap Lock.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I researched this exact thing a fair amount a few years back and basically could not turn anything up. I did see that someone or some company made them at one point but kind of fell through or just discontinued them. I'm sure there out there to be found.I'm sure someone could make you a custom barrel but then the price equivalent to buying a gun might not be practical.
If the maximum diameter you can achieve is .58 then your talking about a pretty small bore to use as a shotgun. I believe this falls somewhere between 28 gauge and 20 gauge. Not that it could not produce a lethal shot pattern, just may not be ideal.
I have no experience shooting a smoothbore so I may be completely wrong about that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quite a few years ago,when TC first started to counter bore their barrels to make starting a round ball easier,I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever heard of, so I had a 54cal. renegade barrel counter bored by a machinist ???, not sure what went wrong but that barrel never did shoot worth a darn after that.

So being the experimenter that I am, I welded an extension on a drill bit,not sure what size,and I drilled the rifle out of that barrel with a battery drill and hours of frustration,got the bit tight several times. Finally success with the drilling,but then the job was so rough that more work was needed. So after some consideration I found a brake cylinder hone small enough,and I honed for hours using up many replacement stones. Finally success, it was smooth enough that it could be loaded ,and I worked up a load that shot an acceptable pattern. By the way this was flintlock barrel.

That fall I took a few bushy tails with the barrel,and one day while sitting quietly waiting for a squirrel, a flock of turkeys snuck in to about 25-30 yds (they can be real dumb sometimes). Then a dumb jake extended his neck and looked straight at me, the gun was already shouldered and the trigger set, I touched off the charge and he folded right there.

Now I am not recommending you try this approach unless you have junk barrel you don't care about,but it worked for me. That barrel is around here somewhere,haven't played with it for years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Contact Bobby Hoyt and have a barrel bored out as big as he will go.....

Problem with those barrels is the dovetails are crazy deep so he can't go as big as you normally could.

I believe the Hawkens have a 15/16" barrel. Renegades are 1". Keep that in mind...they aren't universal. Unless at some point they were made different...

At the end of the day it's still a smoothbore and range is likely going to be pretty limited.

A rebored will be the cheapest route opposed to trying to find a smoothbore for it.

I believe someone here has a Colerain Turkey Choke barrel for TC sidelocks. It's worth contacting Colerain to see if they could make one....for some reason I'm pretty certain I've seen that setup on here. If they could, you'd have a pretty decent turkey barrel...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM

TC made a fair size smooth bore barrel for the New Englander. But it was round. The 56 is the most encountered TC smooth bore barrel. IIIRC Massachusetts muzzle loader season required a smooth bore. Investarms made and provided smooth bore barrels for their Hawken rifles years ago. most were 50 caliber smooth bores but a few were larger. I had one of the 50 caliber smooth bore barrels.

There is a problem with just putting a smoothbore barrel on a hawken typre gun. The barrel is still Octagon and heavy. a bit too heavy to be swinging and pass shooting. Also the limited size they generally came in limited both shot capacity and shot tightness. If I had one I would at least have the front half or third of the barrel turned round to shave off weight and get better balance. If you look at a period shotgun, the breeches were large compared to the front half of the barrel. A straight 15/16 across the flats barrel is too narrow in the breech and too fat in the front. I had a 28 ga fowler for years and used it for everything but geese. It had a 44 or 48 inch barrel and was perfect. (An old Culry Gostomski North Star gun) Even though it was 5 ft long, it weighed less than my hawken.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:14 PM
The Man

I had the 56 smooth bore years ago.I got the mold and made the .550 RB's.It gave about 3" or less at 50 yds. with a bare unpatched RB.Never got to use shot as I already had 5 origionals that got used for hunting small game.
I would check the gun auction sites and opt for another gun.You cant have too many !

One on now for $295

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Last edited by 410-er; 01-09-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page