Jan 5th. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Jan 5th.

Well its not raining here. In facts its a beautiful day where I am. I saw an 8 point this morning walking my dogs. He looked great for this time of year.

I wish I was hunting but I'm out of tags and my freezers full. But good luck and good hunting to all of you out there today. Hope to hear some stories and see some pics tonight.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Raining here in my part of 5C. If it stops i may try to sneak out for a quick PM hunt, otherwise will be back at it Monday AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like I’m never going to make it out. Every time I have a day off it’s raining or windy. Maybe next week

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Part of the Community

Was a perfect cold,clear and calm morning here in the NW. Watch the day come alive listening to the turkeys on the roost, saw a very nice sunrise until the fog rolled in, saw 7 doe and a small buck but couldnít get any shots. The turkeys eventually flew down and fed up past me. I counted 98 give or take a couple crossing the gas line my stand is on. Came in for lunch and now on my way back out.

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Saw 8 this evening. All does and all at once. Something pushed them out.
Unfortunately they went above and out of range instead of the trail below me.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well i got out around 330 here. At 420 had a 7pt come in and stand broadside at 40yds. Made the shot and he jumped and ran off obviously hit. Ran about 45yds and went down in to a drainage wash and i didnt see him come out. I gathered up my things and waited 20 mins before going to shot site. Found only a bit of hair there so i slowly snuck along his tracks over to the ditch. Found a few spots of blood between hit site and ditch. Looked into ditch and didnt see him. At this point i decided to back out. As i turned to walk away i heard a noise and he was standing up from behind log on other side of ditch. He went down the hill obviously not moving well and i saw a hole and blood about 3-4 inches behind his shoulder, he went out into the back of my foodplot for like 30yds and then cut back into woods behind plot. I was unable to get my rifle up due to thorns i was in.
Visually marked where he went into woods and decided to cross ditch and look for sign were he had been laying. Found a puddle about the size of 2 pie plates of heavy dark blood-probably liver. I backed out and came in. Went out at 615 to mark spot where i think he went into woods. Found a single eraser size drop of blood at edge of plot and nothing else for first 20yds into woods. Came in and will look again in morning after what im sure will be a night of little sleep.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:50 PM
The Man

Good luck, hope you find him and from the sounds of it you will.
blackpowder likes this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:50 PM

Good luck and good decision you will find him.
blackpowder likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:59 PM

You will find him. Sounds like liver. You made the right call. We will see the pic tomorrow. Good luck. First time skunked today in the late season.

4B
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good move landscaper! No doubt you will find him. I bet you he's no more than 50-60 yards from where you saw him. His next bed is his death bed. As far as my day went I sat in one of the blinds til 9:30 and saw 5 doe. Came home and changed into light clothes and snuck around til dark. I snuck up on a small 6 point in his bed around 12:30. I just couldn't shoot him knowing that 8 is still in there.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page