50 yards
75 yards
100 yards
over 100 yards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage

I have had only one kill past 100 yds which was 105 yds. In the right conditions(minimal foliage, brush etc cover, good light, proper rest) im good out to 100yds. Although, most all of my kills have been 75 yds or less since those "right conditions" rarely present themselves in the real world.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
For me 75 yards shooting off hand or better yet kneeling. But past 65 yards Id really like a good tree as a rest if ones handy.
willyp and blackpowder like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM
The Man

50 yards for me. My biggest issue is that I am right handed, but left eye dominant. My FL is a right hander and the spark goes up in my face somewhat. If I don't have a deer within 50 yards, I don't even shoot. Not fair to the deer for me to do it.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Im pretty good at the range off a bench out to 100, never tried further. Real world conditions i try to keep it 50 or less but in the field if a shot opportunity "feels right" then i may take a longer shot. Longest field shot was 72yds shooting out of a treestand with shooting rail. Longest offhand leaning on a tree was 54. Have also passed on clear shots at much shorter range because something felt "off", whether it was me being shaky etc. My rifles are capable of shooting alot better than i am!!
Ridge_runner_85 likes this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'll take a supported shot to 100.....possibly even a smidge further. If conditions are just right.... i.e. relaxed, still deer, good solid shooting position, etc. I know the rifle and I are capable at that range.

Offhand.....I get a little squeamish about shooting much past 50-60, although I am capable of longer offhand shots. I feel better taking them when I've been shooting more frequently, and I don't get to shoot much DURING the seasons, because I'm generally hunting if I have time to be out. When I shot at the HHA winter woods walks a couple winters ago, a 75 yard offhand shot wasn't a big deal to me like it is when I haven't shot for a couple months.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anymore I'm turning into a tree stand hunter even in late season with the flintlock. The older I get the pickier I am about the shot I take on a deer no matter the weapon. I hunt a lot of thick area's and really I am looking for a shot inside 50 yards at a deer that is unaware of my presence and hunting from a tree stand gives me my best opportunity. My buck I shot last weekend was 30 yards broadside and I was sitting in a tree stand resting off my knee and my round ball hit exactly where I aimed. For me I want inside 20 yards with a bow, 50 with the flintlock and 100 with a rifle.
willyp, loridr, Born2Hunt and 3 others like this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Part of the Community

Prefer under 50, but with a rest I have no qualms about shooting out to 100 yds.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
Anymore I'm turning into a tree stand hunter even in late season with the flintlock. The older I get the pickier I am about the shot I take on a deer no matter the weapon. I hunt a lot of thick area's and really I am looking for a shot inside 50 yards at a deer that is unaware of my presence and hunting from a tree stand gives me my best opportunity. My buck I shot last weekend was 30 yards broadside and I was sitting in a tree stand resting off my knee and my round ball hit exactly where I aimed. For me I want inside 20 yards with a bow, 50 with the flintlock and 100 with a rifle.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts anymore!
blackpowder likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinlandscaper View Post
Pretty much exactly my thoughts anymore!

Same here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page