January 3rd - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

January 3rd

Getting ready to head in. Itís far and straight down hill. Itís the one spot however where I have seen at least one deer everytime down in there since archery season. If I get one the drag is going to be torture. Good luck to everyone going out today.
bigguy54 likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Getting ready to head in. Itís far and straight down hill. Itís the one spot however where I have seen at least one deer everytime down in there since archery season. If I get one the drag is going to be torture. Good luck to everyone going out today.
Take a pack and bone it out.
blackpowder likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Had my 3rd buck in shooting range about 30 minutes ago. Saw a deer up on the hill but couldnít see itís head. Put the stalk on and while I was looking out in front of me I caught him out of the corner of my eye on the side hill about 50 yards away standing broadside. Looked like a big 10 point. Found his bed and a rub line coming from it. I will be back in a few months to look for his sheds and I will definitely be back in archery. Saw 4 other doe but couldnít get a shot. Been the story of my flintlock season so far.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Had my 3rd buck in shooting range about 30 minutes ago. Saw a deer up on the hill but couldn’t see it’s head. Put the stalk on and while I was looking out in front of me I caught him out of the corner of my eye on the side hill about 50 yards away standing broadside. Looked like a big 10 point. Found his bed and a rub line coming from it. I will be back in a few months to look for his sheds and I will definitely be back in archery. Saw 4 other doe but couldn’t get a shot. Been the story of my flintlock season so far.
Thats a good problem to have!! Im having the opposite issue. Im having doe after doe in range, but i know there are a few legal bucks running around here on my property, even in daylight hours, but i cant seem to meet up with any!
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 PM

Same problem here too Steel, i have had nothing but bucks in range even in range for a bow while the doe are out of range or wont come out of the pines for a shot.

4B
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Banned

I did some hunting from the house this morning. I don't hunt the property so as soon as rifle comes in they congregate around my house. Had four doe outside the door and convinced my three year old to let me shoot one because she wants me to "teach her how to cut it up", but then it didn't offer a good shot. Just as I let down, 3 YO starts screaming and three buck run across the yard behind me. Till everything was said and done I'd seen five buck and at least four, maybe six. Not one of the five bucks had brow tines but one was a pretty nice four point. Not my typical type of hunting but I still get a kick out of it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Well, I promised myself I would wait for a buck but at about 8am I heard deer coming. Pretty frosty and loud this morning. Three deer came into view about 60 yards out. All doe. I didn't shoot. Then a forth deer came into view and was walking toward me. It seemed a big doe, but with the downhill view it was tough to tell. A friend (that has killed more deer than Chevrolet's have )told me last Oct. that the best way to know if your looking at a big mature deer is to look at the face. He said a mature doe will have a long face. Long jaw and nose. He's right, and its easier than just judging size of a moving deer. This one had the long face. I shot her at about 30 yards. So much for my buck tag.

The PRB took both lungs. She ran about 50 yards and piled up. That's three flintlock does for me this season. So I'm done and happy with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190103_100014 - Copy.jpg (1.14 MB, 66 views)
Loggy, bigbear, loridr and 10 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinlandscaper View Post
. Im having doe after doe in range, but i know there are a few legal bucks running around here on my property, even in daylight hours, but i cant seem to meet up with any!

Scraper you got more will power than me by a long shot.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well trust me that will power is getting REAL thin!!!! Only thing keeping it going is with the extended season here in SE. SRA i have time left to score on a buck. I have a doe tag left addition to my unused buck tag, but promised a customer i would get over and try to take a landscape eating doe, but that place is with my crossbow only and she only wants doe taken. Have a few days planned there next week to get that done.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Congrats Buckskin !
blackpowder and Buckskin Dave like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page