Im liking the Hornady PA conical! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Im liking the Hornady PA conical!

Last week when going through my muzzleloader stuff to prepare for the late season I found an unopened box of PA conicals that i had bought years ago. Needed to develope a load for a new to me Traditions Pa pellet with the 1-48 twist and decided to try them.

Decided to start with 70grs of Swiss 2F. First shot was dead center but about 3 inches low at 50yds. Adjusted sights and 2nd shot was dead on, fired another that hit about 1.5 inches from the other still in the bull. That was good enough for me.

The doe I shot yesterday was coming in almost directly towards my stand on my left side. First shot opportunity was at around 10 feet when it went around a tree behind my stand. I aimed at near shoulder and conical entered slightly behind there and went through deer exiting right in front of far hindquarter. Put a large divot in ground after exiting. Heavy blood and deer struggled to make the 40yds it did before falling over dead.

Think i like this conical!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good shooting
I know a few others that are using the Pa Conical with great result's, some even use a fiber pad over the powder.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use nothing else in my .50 Cal. I shot 'em using a bore button between the conical and the powder charge. I found no difference either way so I don't use the button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:36 AM

I shot the Buffalo Ball-et for year. Great option for getting more penetration from the 50cal IMO. I went to them because I wasn't getting the 50cal balls to exit.

My best was one of my biggest does. I was in a tree stand maybe..12-15ft high. She stopped 30yds away quartering towards me pretty hard. I aimed to hit the nearside shoulder.

I fired and watched her run away...I SWORE I saw her back left leg flopping. She got to the edge of the mountain and looked like she was loosing blood pressure but I didn't see her go down.

I get down and I find LONG white belly hair I knew came from between the legs and big bone fragments I knew came from a leg hit. I was sick. How in the world did I miss THAT badly?!?!

I snuck along not finding any blood.

I got to where I last saw her and the hillside was red, leaves and logs plowed over...and she was in a heap.

The Ball-et entered JUST behind the right front shoulder. Went through her entire cavity, exited dead center between the legs, completely blew the back left leg apart and into the dirt. I couldn't believe the penetration.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 AM
The Man

Been using them exclusively since I started muzzleloader hunting. I have shot deer from 40 to 90 yards and ALWAYS get two holes. They just don't stop......

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:31 AM

I had trouble finding PA conicals a couple years back, so I bought a 250 gr Lee REAL mold, so I would have a short conical available. The Lee shoots well in my Getz barrel and a Green Mountain barrel with 80 gr of 3f.
The PA conical shot better in a Lyman GPR with 70 gr of 3f.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Part of the Community

Are you guys having any problems with the PA conical leading up your barrel?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro15 View Post
Are you guys having any problems with the PA conical leading up your barrel?
Never
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Part of the Community

Would they shoot well in a 1:48 twist barrel? I have a Deerstalker and an Accusporter. I have the Accusporter really tuned in to shoot round balls but I was going to hunt with the Lyman when I use the climber.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shot a doe today with one. Quartering to, and coming up hill. Put it in the neck and out the chest. Deer dropped on contact. No complaints here 😀

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page