Dec 27. Late Season Day 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Back in the blind by myself. My little gal is still sick and likely headed to the doc.

Sitting here taking pictures of the sunrise and listening to the turkeys gobbling on the limb......

God is SO GOOD !!!!

Hunt safely everyone !! Keep yer powder dry !!!!

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

My brothers out at my place in a stand thats showed recent buck activity on cams. Im working until around noon, then may do an afternoon sit. Good luck to all!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Going out in a bit to hang a stand in a new location. Not sure if I'll hunt that stand this evening or go walk a different area.

Good luck to all.

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 PM
The Man

My phone said I walked over 8 miles today. Not sure how accurate it is. Jumped two buck on public land up on the mountain. They were standing broadside at 40 yards with their heads behind a big oak. Didn’t see the racks until they turned to run off. The one was definitely legal and looked pretty decent. Headed down to the river bottoms for the last few hours. Only saw three tails. Never posted today just walked. It was tough walking in the leaves with it being so dry and not much wind. Lots of deer out in the posted fields. Back at on Saturday.
Forgot to mention I heard a turkey gobble this evening which was pretty cool.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 12-27-2018 at 07:34 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Stayed in all day again.

Ended up seeing 20-some deer again. Most of which came blowing down off the ridgetop about 1:00 at Mach 3......dunno what ran them out....

Also had a pretty 7 pointer come by around 11:00. Just not what I'm after. Couple early does got passes as well.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

got home early enough to sit in a stand close by for a couple hours but didn't see anything. I have family staying until Saturday, so may not get back out until Monday.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

One of the guys got a big cow today around 7:30 out of one of the blinds. We pushed out some laurel and had deer on the move but they were hauling the mail and weren't slowing down when they came out to the standers. No shots taken. I saw a nice coyote just before dark but he was on a mission and wouldn't slow down. I tried lip squeaking to stop him but he paid no mind.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
One of the guys got a big cow today around 7:30 out of one of the blinds.

Hereford or Angus?
steelhead125 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:29 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I was out before first light. Another beautiful day for Dec. in north west PA. Sat till I couldn't sit still any more then still hunted.

A little later I moved up on three deer bedded. When they caught on to me two deer took off and one stood there, I had it in my sights at 20 yards but there was so much brush between us I couldn't tell if there were antlers and was not really sure what part of the deer my front site was on. Of course I couldn't shoot and it took off.

Kept hunting till lunch. After lunch back out and took a stand about 2pm. Not 15 minutes later I saw a doe walking toward me maybe 6o or 70 yards out. Then I saw a nother deer and another till there were 5. I picked a big one and cocked the rifle. They kept coming toward me and the big one I wanted was now the second deer in line. When they were about 30 yards out I hit the set trigger, took a breath and let half go. Then the lead deer saw me and froze. I was lined up on the doe I wanted and squeezed off. I saw her flip backward through the smoke. She dropped where I shot her. No second shot needed. I thanked her for her sacrifice and filled out my tag.

This is my second flintlock deer this year. Been a good season for me.
Both deer fell from a 50 cal. 490 PRB .015 patch over 65 GR. of FFF. The first from my Lyman deerstalker back in rifle season, the second from my great plains rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181227_161110(1).jpg (1.00 MB, 57 views)
File Type: jpeg 5991.jpeg (123.0 KB, 53 views)

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Last edited by Buckskin Dave; 12-27-2018 at 09:31 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 PM
edg
Regular Visitor

Very nice Buckskin Dave.

Hoping to get out this Saturday for the first time. My boss won't let anyone off between Christmas and New Years. Makes me really antsy, when I'm stuck at work and could be in the woods. Oh well, I don't complain when I get my paycheck..
Buckskin Dave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page