Had a problem today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Had a problem today

This is my first year I’m going to hunt with a muzzleloader. I’ve been trying to get it sighted in, last week I ran out of daylight on a work night. Today I took it out to my friends farm and got the first shot in. It was shooting high, so I adjusted the sight. Put a patch and ball in and wouldn’t you know it I forgot to put the powder in. UGH! So I took the ramrod out put the ball puller on and commenced to pull the ball out. It wouldn’t come so I worked at it some more. Well, somehow I ended up breaking the ramrod inside the barrel. I thought now what the heck am I going to do!!! I was freaking out so I called a friend and he walked me through shooting it out. I was amazed that sucker flew out of the barrel. Lol now I feel a little better now that it came out. My friend is going to bring a ramrod out for me tomorrow to use until I get another one. I found one online and ordered it. Lesson learned, the hard way.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:38 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
This is my first year I’m going to hunt with a muzzleloader. I’ve been trying to get it sighted in, last week I ran out of daylight on a work night. Today I took it out to my friends farm and got the first shot in. It was shooting high, so I adjusted the sight. Put a patch and ball in and wouldn’t you know it I forgot to put the powder in. UGH! So I took the ramrod out put the ball puller on and commenced to pull the ball out. It wouldn’t come so I worked at it some more. Well, somehow I ended up breaking the ramrod inside the barrel. I thought now what the heck am I going to do!!! I was freaking out so I called a friend and he walked me through shooting it out. I was amazed that sucker flew out of the barrel. Lol now I feel a little better now that it came out. My friend is going to bring a ramrod out for me tomorrow to use until I get another one. I found one online and ordered it. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Wow, that would about freak ya out, I'll say. Glad you got it out.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:51 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Moss I'll bet every one of us has dry balled a rifle like that at some point. I know I have. Flintlocks can make ya nuts sometimes. And the learning curve is lllloooonnnggg.

Shoot a deer with one and your hooked for life. I was hooked the first time I got the dang thing to go off. Never looked back.
blackpowder likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

and always, always drill and pin the end through the wood or whatever the rod is made from. that will save the whole end from pulling off! glad you got it out Moss.
USAF_SP and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 PM

i found out early that flintlocks are not for me. i had two doe feeding about 50 yards out, i used a tree for support, carefully aimed, and heard pfffffttttt-ta, no boom. i waited in case of a hang fire and no boom. i figured i needed more powder in the pan....loaded that sucker and tried it again....this time i didnt hear anything, i just saw what looked like a bolt of lightning followed by what sounded like a cannon going off, followed by tons of smoke.

when everything cleared i heard some distant laughter. it was buddy who was bowhunting from a treestand almost 100 yards away. he said it looked like i blew myself up. those deer disappeared too. i have no idea where they went.
bigguy54 and little antlers like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i found out early that flintlocks are not for me. i had two doe feeding about 50 yards out, i used a tree for support, carefully aimed, and heard pfffffttttt-ta, no boom. i waited in case of a hang fire and no boom. i figured i needed more powder in the pan....loaded that sucker and tried it again....this time i didnt hear anything, i just saw what looked like a bolt of lightning followed by what sounded like a cannon going off, followed by tons of smoke.

when everything cleared i heard some distant laughter. it was buddy who was bowhunting from a treestand almost 100 yards away. he said it looked like i blew myself up. those deer disappeared too. i have no idea where they went.

GREEN HORNS
bohunr, eastbank and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:20 PM
The Man

Didn't put enough dirt down...………………..

Saw it, right off...…………….

bohunr, Windsniffer, Moss and 5 others like this.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Sage

Glad you got it cleared!!

In addition to having a ball puller...a handy tool for pulling a ramrod:

325wsm likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 12-26-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: .......added pic of ramrod puller
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strut10 View Post
didn't put enough dirt down...………………..

Saw it, right off...…………….

[img class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/img]
lmao!!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

when everything cleared i heard some distant laughter. it was buddy who was bowhunting from a treestand almost 100 yards away. he said it looked like i blew myself up. those deer disappeared too. i have no idea where they went. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
That there is funny lol
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page