Black Powder Storage? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Buckskin Dave
  • 1 Post By Loggy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Black Powder Storage?

Where do you all store your real BP? I have mine stored in a storage chest with my M/Loader supplies in my cool dehumidified basement.Thinkin I shouldn,t have it in the house though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:41 PM

Mine is in the same cabinet with my smokeless powders. Just put on the top shelf with my M/L stuff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

After the season i use my vacuum sealer to wrap it and keep it like that for the off season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I keep it in the gun cabinet. Long as the lids on snug its fine. As far as storage safety goes black powder is not half as bad as gasoline.

BP is only "explosive" when it has a source of ignition AND it's compressed. Meaning,, a can of bp won't "explode" if/or when it's exposed to a common accidental fire (as a house or garage fire).
Store BP on the floor, if your concerned , not on a shelf, because heat rises (right?)
Unless there is a direct heat/flame/ignition source,, the gradual rise of temp (even above flash point) changes the character of the sulfur content of the BP composition.
Without gettin real heavy science on ya,, the sulfur crystallizes and changes the whole matrix. The stuff will then go off like smokeless,, "foof", no boom.
Loggy and blackpowder like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have an old safe that the combination knob broke on but the latching door handle still works.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
I keep it in the gun cabinet. Long as the lids on snug its fine. As far as storage safety goes black powder is not half as bad as gasoline.

BP is only "explosive" when it has a source of ignition AND it's compressed. Meaning,, a can of bp won't "explode" if/or when it's exposed to a common accidental fire (as a house or garage fire).
Store BP on the floor, if your concerned , not on a shelf, because heat rises (right?)
Unless there is a direct heat/flame/ignition source,, the gradual rise of temp (even above flash point) changes the character of the sulfur content of the BP composition.
Without gettin real heavy science on ya,, the sulfur crystallizes and changes the whole matrix. The stuff will then go off like smokeless,, "foof", no boom.
This!!
blackpowder likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page