Thoughts on 58 build/conversion - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on 58 build/conversion

Hi,

I am thinking about having someone build me a 58 cal flintlock or retro fitting a GPR.

I am thinking I have three options.

option 1
Go to the Dixons Muzzleloader fair and see if someone will build me a plain jain flintlock

option 2

Buy a Great Plains Rifle and see if I can get someone to make me a drop in barrel.

Option 3
Watch the classifieds.

Right now, I think option 2 is most appealing. Reason being, I am not looking for a work of art. I would like a great lock and great barrel and double set trigger. I don't want to spend a fortune for something that is going to up getting scratched and used hard. Plus, I already have a GPR in 50 cal so having an extra barrel for it would be nice. Does anyone know of anyone who makes drop in/replacements barrels that will fit a GPR? Is Bob Hoyt still doing it? Any reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by sch Co; 12-22-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:26 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I don't think its a bad idea. Who doesn't want the best lock around? I'm not sure why .58 cal. Most GPR barrels in 54 will shoot better groups than most guys can shoot. That is to say I think it takes a pretty good shooter to be better than what a run of the mill GPR can do. But that's just my opinion. Your best bet is to head over to the muzzle loader forum and ask around over there. www.muzzleloadingforum.com Lots of builders over there. Good luck with it and let us know what you end up with.
325wsm likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I already have two 50's and just wanted a bigger bore for something different. Thanks on the suggestion. I will post over there...
Wainzoid and Buckskin Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch Co View Post
Any reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks!

You'll shoot your eye out kid
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Going to Dixon's is never a bad idea, and there are more than a few guys there who can build you whatever you want.

Take a look sometime at Allen Martin's personal hunting gun (he's a builder who's at Dixon's, if you don't know who he is). It's clearly been through the brush a time or two, lol, and it only looks better for it, imho.

Hoyt does rebore barrels. You'd probably want to give him a call prior to buying anything and make sure he can/will do what you have in mind.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I go along with Buckskin's question, Why a .58? I think you need to consider a .54 in the mix. I have a .58 smoothbore fowler, and with a proper hunting load, the high comb whacks the snot out of my cheek every time I shoot a .562 roundball out of it. Trying to settle on the best powder, patch, and ball combination at the range is a painful outing! Maybe a .58 cal. rifle with a cheek piece would result in a more comfortable shooter.

Whatever you settle on, a new flintlock is always a positive experience!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC

Last edited by BerksCoflinter; 12-23-2018 at 12:47 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Part of the Community

50 and 54 cal. muzzle loaders are easier to find PRB or bullets for. But if you called Rice barrels they maybe could build you a barrel
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Bob Hoyt has done at least two 58"s for me, both of which were re-bores from a smaller caliber, you will love a 58, just remember with round ba$$'s bigger is always better!

If you could find something on a used shelf with a 1" barrel in a smaller caliber that would be ideal for a re-bore to 58. I don't know what Bob's pricing is at present, but a year ago a re-bore cost me $100 green money. I have somewhat of an advantage because I am only 30min from his shop so no shipping charges.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 AM
The Man

Nothing wrong with having a 58.
I have 32,36,many 45,50,54,and 58.
I would go with getting a "Poor Boy" or "Barn" gun built.Gunmakers fair would be a grat place to start.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Sage

I shot a 50 for many years and went to a 54. Found it to provide a measurable difference vs a 50 satisfying my thirst for a bigger bore flintlock. I think your "Option 1" would be the best point to start.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page