So, do ya think........ ?? Opinions, please... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

So, do ya think........ ?? Opinions, please...

So, I ended up with the T/C WMC for a flinter for my daughter. THEN I come to find it's a 20 twist barrel...

Likely gonna bench it tomorrow to find out. But, do you think (or have firsthand experience) with such a fast twist stabilizing a Hornady PA Conical ?? I scooped up a couple boxes of 350 grain T/C Maxi Hunters. But since it's a small rifle and it's a 14 year old gal that'll be hunting with it, I am hoping to NOT have to use the heavy bullets for recoil purposes.....

What think ye ??

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Sage

Never had much luck with the 350 maxi hunters but the 370 maxi ball shot great.

A lighter(less recoiling) option would be a .452 XTP Hornady 300 grain with sabot. I know they stabilize well in a 1-28 bbl. IMO the Hornady PA Conicals would not stabilize too well as they are designed for a much slower twist bbl. The 348 grain Power Belt AeroTips also shoot well out of fast twisters. The 1-20 is a really fast twistin bbl in a ML so you most likely will need to go a little longer in bullets. I know some guys shoot the saboted Hornady .452's in a 250 grain so that one to also consider although I think the 300's in the .452 would shoot better. Best of luck!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a Green Mountain Barrel on a T/C Renegade with a 1:28 twist that shot nearly MOA using the 245Gr Powerbelts over 100Grs Goex 2F, but 85Grs shoot nearly as well. Took deer out to 108 yds (used shooting sticks and a range finder) With that combo. Recoil was not heavy at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Appreciate the input, fellers !!

I was REALLY hoping to be able to stay away from copper and plastic.... Guess some time spent with a target will tell.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know you said you wanted to stay a way from plastic, but powerbelt makes a 245 grain bullet that sounds like it'd be a good fit for that rifle. And not to sound sexist, as I don't know your daughter, but they are incredibly easy to load compared to standard sabboted bullets. That being said I hope the PA conicals shoot well for you, they're a great projectile

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Appreciate the input, fellers !!

I was REALLY hoping to be able to stay away from copper and plastic...……………. Guess some time spent with a target will tell.
Saw on your earlier post: "So, I said to her a week ago...….. "think you'd wanna try a flintlock ?" "

Unless your Daughter is an experienced flintlock shooter...mebbie good to wait until next year as this season is soon here providing little time for her for proper prep??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 12-22-2018 at 08:15 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Saw on your earlier post: "So, I said to her a week ago..... "think you'd wanna try a flintlock ?" "

Unless your Daughter is an experienced flintlock shooter...mebbie good to wait until next year as this season is soon here providing little time for her for proper prep??

So long as I can find an acceptable projectile and she takes to the gun well, we'll be out there.

She is new to the flintlock. But not new to hunting and does EXTREMELY well....even under pressure. I put a pair of blinds out last weekend that will allow me to be RIGHT there in her ear and on her shoulder.

If there's ANY doubt in my mind that she can make an ethical shot.....she'll sit it out or sit with me and watch. That's why she's not bowhunting til next season. Wasn't ready yet this year.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

P.S. I do appreciate your thoughts and concern and your point/advice IS well taken.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Faster twist barrels will be better at stabilizing heavier (longer) projectiles. You shouldn't have an issue with the heavy conicals.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
P.S. I do appreciate your thoughts and concern and your point/advice IS well taken.
I wasn't be critical just thinking back how long my start-up time was to get reasonably proficient to hunt with a flintlock. It's great you're introducing your Daughter to the sport!!
Steeltrap likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page