Flintlock sighting help: grouping low - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By huntinlandscaper
  • 1 Post By Buckskin Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

My brother recently bought a traditions pa pellet. I was attemting to sight it in yesterday and this morning and it was grouping good at 25 yds but was consistently hitting low. Maxed out moving the rear sight up and Tried several different powder charges/projectile combos and it was hitting low with all of them! Im talking like 3-4" low at 25yds. Im a relatively experienced flintlock shooter and open sight shooter in general, so i dont believe its me flinching etc. Sight picture was consistent on all shots. I even got my PA pellet out and tried my hunting load with it and it was dead on, tried it with his and low again! His was bought used but barrel is clean etc. Sights look like original fiber optics. Any ideas on causes/fixes to this? Maybe front sight or rear height off?? Im flustered!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinlandscaper View Post
My brother recently bought a traditions pa pellet. I was attemting to sight it in yesterday and this morning and it was grouping good at 25 yds but was consistently hitting low. Maxed out moving the rear sight up and Tried several different powder/projectile combos and it was hitting low with all of them! Im talking like 3-4" low at 25yds. Im a relatively experienced flintlock shooter and open sight shooter in general, so i dont believe its me flinching etc. Sight picture was consistent on all shots. I even got my PA pellet out and tried my hunting load with it and it was dead on, tried it with his and low again! His was bought used but barrel is clean etc. Sights look like original fiber optics. Any ideas on causes/fixes to this? Maybe front sight or rear height off?? Im flustered!!
I had the exact opposite problem with mine. I was like 7” high at 50yrds. I called traditions and they sent a taller front sight. I’d give them a call. Does it ya e the Williams sights or the large orange plastic blade on the front?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Raise the back sight. Or keep front sight higher in the back sight, Just had same problem with my 308 had to get a smaller front sight

Ez Stant

Last edited by Stant; 12-20-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ok just dug through my stuff and found the williams stock sights off my PA pellet that i pulled when i added the RMC Vpeep. The rear sights appear to match but the front sight on his is lower then the one that came off mine. Would that make a difference?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Can you place a hard plastic shim under the back sight? that will work.Here is a calculator that will tell you how much lower the front sight should be, add that much to the back if you can.

On my 308 I needed .035, 35 thousand's smaller front sight, The calculator will figure it out for you.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=13093

Let us know how you make out.

Stant

Last edited by Stant; 12-20-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgor something
Old 12-20-2018, 02:35 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stant View Post
Can you place a hard plastic shim under the back sight? that will work.Here is a calculator that will tell you how much lower the front sight should be, add that much to the back if you can.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=13093

Let us know how you make out.

Stant

If I had to shim it, I'd use cooper. Easy to cut, shape and drill, and more stable than plastic.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Think in the interest of time and ease im just going to hit Dixons for a set of RMC sights.
loridr likes this.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Guys, if the rifle is shooting low the front site must be lowered. Not raised. With the rear site you go the same way you want to move the shot. With the front site you go the opposite. Just like Cscott1 siad, his rifle was shooting high. So the sent him a taller front site. If you rifle is shooting low, you need to LOWER the front site.
blackpowder likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinlandscaper View Post
Ok just dug through my stuff and found the williams stock sights off my PA pellet that i pulled when i added the RMC Vpeep. The rear sights appear to match but the front sight on his is lower then the one that came off mine. Would that make a difference?

If the new front site is lower than the old one it will raise the point of impact.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 AM
The Man

Had the same problem with one of my flinters.

Cut a small, round brass button from some stock, sprung the rear sight up and slid it under. Problem solved !!

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in