WELL don't listen then ! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

WELL don't listen then !

Why won't people believe that flintlocks are for regular black power ?
Why are there so many whom are going to try to use 777 or Pyrodex pellets or loose stuff !
And you just know these are not the older folks going to try to use it ?
I just give up even reading a thread when some one ask about using the stuff.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Regular Visitor

When I bought my first flintlock, the gun shop owner told me the way to go was loose 777 or clearshot powder as they cleaned up much easier, so I bought a pound. Now he may have been right, but....

The first time I shot my rifle I was with my uncle. My uncle then told me to get rid of that stuff and just use real black powder instead. His reasoning was if you have a can of black powder sitting on a shelf for 30+ years and then try to use it, all of its combustible properties are just like they were when the powder was new. He said the book wasn't finished being written on the new propellants and you had no idea of the shelf life of those powders. Having heard all of that, it all made sense to me and if 500+ years of history showed anything, it was that black powder is a fine propellant and didn't need replaced by some new-fangled fad. Any my flintlock works just as designed with black powder.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

depending on which flintlock someone is asking about its not a dumb question. The Traditions PA Pellet line is designed to use 777 or Pyrodex. They are basically an inline with using a flint instead of a primer. Even have the same twist rate. Now if its something other then that line, I'm guessing they weren't given the best advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbeast View Post
When I bought my first flintlock, the gun shop owner told me the way to go was loose 777 or clearshot powder as they cleaned up much easier, so I bought a pound. Now he may have been right, but....

The first time I shot my rifle I was with my uncle. My uncle then told me to get rid of that stuff and just use real black powder instead. His reasoning was if you have a can of black powder sitting on a shelf for 30+ years and then try to use it, all of its combustible properties are just like they were when the powder was new. He said the book wasn't finished being written on the new propellants and you had no idea of the shelf life of those powders. Having heard all of that, it all made sense to me and if 500+ years of history showed anything, it was that black powder is a fine propellant and didn't need replaced by some new-fangled fad. Any my flintlock works just as designed with black powder.
Your Uncle was a smart man, as are you for listening. I tried using 777 in my flintlock as a newbie and it resulted in the invention of new swear words.

I use synthetic powder in the form of Blackhorn 209 in my heretic muzzleloader (read: inline) because the performance is excellent. That said, 777 and a lot of others have been known to get flaky when they sit on the shelf for too long. Like your Uncle said, you can discharge a load of real black powder that has sat in a flintlock since the Golden Age and get reliable ignition to the exact same specs as the day it was loaded. That, and it's dramatically more reliable with the lower flash of a traditional ignition system.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:37 PM
dce
Sage

I only ever used bp in a flintlock but I have a friend who swears by Jim Shocky's gold.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 PM

I tried 777 loose in my pa pellet last year. It fired fine and was very easy to clean. You get more “bang” with less powder. I found tighter groups with 3f goex. Clean up is no big deal with the removable breach plug.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Can someone tell me what "easier to clean" means in a flintlock?

Specifically, how does it get easier? A patch or two less to run through it? You still have to clean fouling out of the bore, and cleaning a flintlock shot using blackpowder is not hard work to begin with.

I read in places about hunters putting some 4f under pellets to get proper ignition of pellet form propoellant, and wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze here.
blackpowder likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Not sure if it's moisture or what, but I've noticed a difference between new and old black powder in terms of cleanliness. Last year I was getting low on my 20 year old can of 2F and bought a new can. The new stuff seemed much cleaner burning, I.E. less fouling.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Can someone tell me what "easier to clean" means in a flintlock?

Specifically, how does it get easier? A patch or two less to run through it? You still have to clean fouling out of the bore, and cleaning a flintlock shot using blackpowder is not hard work to begin with.

I read in places about hunters putting some 4f under pellets to get proper ignition of pellet form propoellant, and wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze here.
I didn’t shoot a lot of 777 but my at range cleanings two passes with a brush and two with a wet patch and then dry. Pulled the breech plug plug and could whip it easily with a damp cloth.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
. Last year I was getting low on my 20 year old can of 2F and bought a new can.

Twenty years? Wow. I go through a pound about every two months.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page