TC White Mountain Carbine - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

TC White Mountain Carbine

So.....since I had to work every day of the general firearms season.....my daughter got ripped off and did not get to hunt at all, either.

So, I said to her a week ago..... "think you'd wanna try a flintlock ?" She said "Uh huh !!!" so I found a TC White Mountain Carbine flinter and paid way too much for it. But a daddy's gotta do what a daddy's gotta do....

I could tell in the pics online,that there was something up with the trigger. It was WAAAAAY too far forward in the trigger guard. So the brown truck swings by yesterday and drops the gun off. The trigger is flopping around in the guard.... Take the lock off and the trigger connector is not in the proper position in the lock. 60 second fix.

Try to pull the hammer back and I almost gotta put two hands on the hammer and both feet on the butt pad !!!!! Ain't NO WAY a 14 year old girl is gonna cock that hammer with one thumb. And the trigger pull.... !!! NO LESS than 10 lbs !!!! Probably more .

Anyone else ever run across a TC (or Lyman......same exact lock) that was this ignorant ???

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

first thing I would check would be clearance of all the moving parts with the wood inside.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
first thing I would check would be clearance of all the moving parts with the wood inside.

It ain't that.

With the lock out and running it by hand....it's the absolute WORST that I (and my uncle who build his own locks and guns) have ever seen !!! The hammer spring is like it came out from under a Chevy Suburban !!! There's some polishing and spring work in the very, VERY near future for the lock....

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Weird thing is.....uncle just did a little cleaning up of a Lyman gun for a Dutchman about a month ago. The Lyman uses the SAME EXACT lock as the TC. He said the Lyman trigger was good.....right around 3 lbs

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post

Well.....you were in the right church !!! Just the wrong pew....

I did some online research late last night and came up with a couple discussions that were semi-related to my predicament with this gun. I e-mailed the links to uncle.

He got to looking and found that the trigger connector arm that goes into the notch in the trigger was binding on the bottom corner of the notch. He fetched his Dremel after it and, with clearance, the trigger breaks at 4 pounds, albeit with a good bit of creep. Not sure what, if anything, can be done with the creep. But, at least, we have a trigger my daughter can pull. We can work with 4 pounds with creep.
blackpowder likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Regular Visitor

Id like to find a White Mountain Carbine myself....they sound pretty neat..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man X2 View Post
Percussion WMC's are a dime a dozen. Flinters are hard to come by....and hard to pay for if you get 'em on an online auction site...

My late night researching last night, turned up that the WMC's came with at least 3 different twist rates..... 20, 28 and 38. I plan to load Hornady PA Conicals in it. I'm hoping if this is a 20 or a 28 twist gun, it won't be too fast for the Conical.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man X2 View Post
Percussion WMC's are a dime a dozen. Flinters are hard to come by...………….and hard to pay for if you get 'em on an online auction site...………

My late night researching last night, turned up that the WMC's came with at least 3 different twist rates...…….. 20, 28 and 38. I plan to load Hornady PA Conicals in it. I'm hoping if this is a 20 or a 28 twist gun, it won't be too fast for the Conical.
Definetly would be flint.....been checkin for a while...always a day late. Hate runnin from shop to shop tryin to find one...maybe when i was younger..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 PM
The Man

I have one I picked up last year from an older friend who was downsizing. Like new condition, I think I gave $200 for it.. My hammer is a bit on the stiff side, but not all that bad. Trigger is sloppy but fairly light, better than my Renegade without setting the set trigger. Haven't messed around with a lot of loads but it shoots the Hornady 385gr Great Plains bullet over 80 grains of 2F BP within two inches at 50 yards; good enough for my purposes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
...I'm hoping if this is a 20 or a 28 twist gun, it won't be too fast for the Conical.
Ummm, check the twist so You know?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page