TN Smoked Hogs: One for Berkscoflinter!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 21,465
Back To Top
TN Smoked Hogs: One for Berkscoflinter!!

Hey Berks....remember this hunt??? Who ever said dem lil roundballs don't putem down!!





bohunr, bigguy54, loridr and 2 others like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Loggy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:33 AM
The Man
 
loridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pa, Dauphin co
Posts: 6,600
Back To Top
Lotta pork right there! When did that hunt take place Loggy?
Loggy likes this.
loridr is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 21,465
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Lotta pork right there! When did that hunt take place Loggy?
It was a group of about 12 HPA members here did hunt a number of years ago maybe 10?? It was at Loshbaughs in Crossville, TN. I did 2 inline hunts before this one & thought it would be neat to do a "Flintlock Only" hunt so organized one here. We had a blast!! Berks Son Ken killed the largest hog. Forget weight but think was well over 300 lbs. Below is pic of BerkCoflinter presenting a powder horn he make to his Son Ken for killing the largest hog.

bohunr, bigguy54, loridr and 1 others like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Loggy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berks Co., Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,270
Back To Top
Hey Loggy, thanks for sharing those photos, and the story. That was indeed a memorable trip enjoyed with a terrific group of Pennsylvanians. That God-awful beast Ken shot weighed in around 425 lbs. and was absolutely inedible! He couldn't use the stove in the house for preparing the smelly meat, and the family found they couldn't stomach it even from the grill outside.


I think ole Berks was still enjoying that fine Tennessee adult beverage from the looks of that horn presentation photo. I gave it all up for the better when I turned 70, five years ago.


Ken dropped that hog in its tracks with a Brad Emig .50 cal. "Yorktown" rifle, shooting a .015 patched .490 roundball over 65 grains of FFFg powder!


My "Yorktown" still prefers a .015 patched .535 roundball over a 85 grain charge of FFFg. Now, if I could just figure out the roundball, patch, and powder combination for my 24 gauge smoothbore! Good luck after Christmas!
Loggy likes this.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
BerksCoflinter is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 21,465
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter View Post
Hey Loggy, thanks for sharing those photos, and the story. That was indeed a memorable trip enjoyed with a terrific group of Pennsylvanians. That God-awful beast Ken shot weighed in around 425 lbs. and was absolutely inedible! He couldn't use the stove in the house for preparing the smelly meat, and the family found they couldn't stomach it even from the grill outside.

I think ole Berks was still enjoying that fine Tennessee adult beverage from the looks of that horn presentation photo. I gave it all up for the better when I turned 70, five years ago.

Ken dropped that hog in its tracks with a Brad Emig .50 cal. "Yorktown" rifle, shooting a .015 patched .490 roundball over 65 grains of FFFg powder!

My "Yorktown" still prefers a .015 patched .535 roundball over a 85 grain charge of FFFg. Now, if I could just figure out the roundball, patch, and powder combination for my 24 gauge smoothbore! Good luck after Christmas!
Thanks Berks....wishing you the same!! I really look fwd to the late season!!

Brad Emig's guns were well represented on our TN Hog Hunt for sure!! I remember how it took several to hoist your Son Ken's Monster Hog off the truck!! I shot a sow in the 250-300 lb range which was pretty good eating. Mine dropped in its tracks also. It actually went down quicker than the 2 I killed on earlier inline hunts where I took one with my White Rifle Super 91 .504 cal and another with a smokeless Savage 10MLII !! Them roundballs ain't nothin to fool with!! I gotta watch it here or I'll talk myself into a 4th TN Hog Hunt!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Loggy is online now  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berks Co., Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,270
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Thanks Berks....wishing you the same!! I really look fwd to the late season!!

Brad Emig's guns were well represented on our TN Hog Hunt for sure!! I remember how it took several to hoist your Son Ken's Monster Hog off the truck!! I shot a sow in the 250-300 lb range which was pretty good eating. Mine dropped in its tracks also. It actually went down quicker than the 2 I killed on earlier inline hunts where I took one with my White Rifle Super 91 .504 cal and another with a smokeless Savage 10MLII !! Them roundballs ain't nothin to fool with!! I gotta watch it here or I'll talk myself into a 4th TN Hog Hunt!!
I was thinking exactly the same thing! I think there would be a struggle to accumulate the same size group however.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
BerksCoflinter is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 21,465
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Thanks Berks....wishing you the same!! I really look fwd to the late season!!

Brad Emig's guns were well represented on our TN Hog Hunt for sure!! I remember how it took several to hoist your Son Ken's Monster Hog off the truck!! I shot a sow in the 250-300 lb range which was pretty good eating. Mine dropped in its tracks also. It actually went down quicker than the 2 I killed on earlier inline hunts where I took one with my White Rifle Super 91 .504 cal and another with a smokeless Savage 10MLII !! Them roundballs ain't nothin to fool with!! I gotta watch it here or I'll talk myself into a 4th TN Hog Hunt!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing! I think there would be a struggle to accumulate the same size group however.
If I remember correctly we needed 10 confirmed to reserve the whole lodge for ourselves. Seems a lot of the old time smokers here are not around anymore at least postingwise. You're probably right it would be tough to get a group to commit.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Loggy is online now  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: 5A/5B
Posts: 11,126
Back To Top
I'll add a photo to the mix, though not TN but a few of the same characters.
From 2007.

Loggy, bigguy54 and loridr like this.
TPlank is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 21,465
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPlank View Post
I'll add a photo to the mix, though not TN but a few of the same characters.
From 2007.

Left to Right: Soupe, Grey Bear, Jr, Loggy, McCoy, BerksCoflinter, Bunky, Todd Plank

WOW Todd...oh how the years fly by!! Added names to that infamous group of smokers!! If I remember that pic was either out at Gentleben's(Dick's) place in Bedford County Or Michaux Adams County?? One fine group of guy's to hunt with!!
bigguy54 and loridr like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 12-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Loggy is online now  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: 5A/5B
Posts: 11,126
Back To Top
That's Michaux, Cumberland Cnty
Loggy likes this.
TPlank is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome