54 Caliber Shooters: What Roundall Do You Use??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Sage

54 Caliber Shooters: What Roundall Do You Use???

Curious what you 54 caliber flinter guys use and your experiences??

I've been back & forth between the .530 & .535 with various patch combinations. Accuracy wise...the .535 will marginally outperform the .530 but is much harder to load even when dropping down diameter of patch plus if too thin was getting some gas burn threws. I'm pretty much settled in with the .530 with a .018 pillow ticking patch.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Part of the Community

My flinter has a 38 inch Getz barrel on it and I shoot .530 with .015 prelubed patch...just 75 grains of FFG. Started bringing a couple of speed loaders with same charge and ball but .010 patches for easier to load follow shot *if necessary, but hasnt been yet
Smiley
Loggy likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 AM
The Man

Depends on how your rifling was cut.Get a box of each and try them.Do combos of different patch thickness,RB size,and powder amounts.Go with tightest groups and most important is hitting what you aim at with that 1st shot out of a clean bore!
Not sure what make gun you have but generally Lymans like .018-.020 and TC's like .015-.018.
You should get groups of less than 1 1/2" at 50 yds.
Loggy likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

JO-Anne Fabrics sells what is called (cotton drill cloth) its about 20th ,they also have pillow tick,at around 18th. Take your micrometer with you and start to measure cotton cloth at JO-Ann's ,they will look at you like your crazy ,but will understand after you tell them what's up. Buy a yard of a couple different thicknesses and bring it home and wash the cloth before using it.

My 54 renegade shoots best with 20th cotton drill and a .530 ball lubed with Lehigh Valley lube , old formula,I bought a lifetime supply back when it was available. I thing I heard a rumor that it was back in production. on top of 85gr of 3f powder.

Experimenting with different components is half the fun.

Keep trying you'll eventually get there.

Oh ,almost forgot wipe the barrel after each shot when working up loads. You will seldom need a second shot in a hunting situation,and loading a dirty barrel at that point will still be in the group close enough for a second killing shot. That first shot from a clean barrel is what is important.
Loggy likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er View Post
Depends on how your rifling was cut.Get a box of each and try them.Do combos of different patch thickness,RB size,and powder amounts.Go with tightest groups and most important is hitting what you aim at with that 1st shot out of a clean bore!
Not sure what make gun you have but generally Lymans like .018-.020 and TC's like .015-.018.
You should get groups of less than 1 1/2" at 50 yds.
Yep 410-er good points but well past that stage years ago. Just curious what combo of ball/patch you 54 caliber shooters use and your experiences..

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 AM
The Man

Lyman Great Plains
100 grs of FFg
.020 Pillow patch lubed with Moose Milk or Bear Oil
.535 RB I pour and weigh
Groups are 3/4" at 50yds.

101_1321[1] by t410er, on Flickr
Loggy and flintlock hunter like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Last edited by 410-er; 12-15-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Yep 410-er good points but well past that stage years ago.
Good grief yes. When Loggy turned twelve he got his first deer rifle. A brand new state of the art wheell lock.
Loggy and flintlock hunter like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 AM

.530 RB with .018 pillow ticking and 80 grns of 3F. Im in the boiler room at 50 yds if I do my part.
Loggy likes this.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Good grief yes. When Loggy turned twelve he got his first deer rifle. A brand new state of the art wheell lock.
You are absolutely correct Buckskin, this old curmudgeon asking for this .54 cal. information is nearly as old as I am, and is probably still driving an antique, green Suburban! He was the last time we hunted together, which was in Tennessee chasing smelly old wild boars.

If I remember correctly, Loggy and I had this conversation during that hunt while toting nearly matching Brad Emig .54 cal. rifles and the proper roundball, patch, and powder to feed them. After he watched me miss a standing shot at one really, really small hog, my suggestion of .535 roundballs, .015 patching, and 85 grains of FFFg Goex, was promptly ignored, and rightfully so.
Loggy and Buckskin Dave like this.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter View Post
You are absolutely correct Buckskin, this old curmudgeon asking for this .54 cal. information is nearly as old as I am, and is probably still driving an antique, green Suburban! He was the last time we hunted together, which was in Tennessee chasing smelly old wild boars.

If I remember correctly, Loggy and I had this conversation during that hunt while toting nearly matching Brad Emig .54 cal. rifles and the proper roundball, patch, and powder to feed them. After he watched me miss a standing shot at one really, really small hog, my suggestion of .535 roundballs, .015 patching, and 85 grains of FFFg Goex, was promptly ignored, and rightfully so.
Darn Berks....your memory is sharp!! Retired that 88 Suburban couple years ago....tuff decision!!

Seems I go through this .530 vs .535 dilemma every year!! Thanks for reminding me of that infamous TN boar shot where you demonstrated(live) the .535's performance.......think im back to the .530!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page