Investarms flint lock ?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Investarms flint lock ??

Wonder if they are as good as Lyman.
I held one the other day a 50 cal. Flinter a club member wants to sell
Hawkens model and early production year gun only maybe mid 80's.
I think has a early style lock style hammer scrapes just a tad over center
I will say being a hawken rifle a little heavier then Thompson center hawken.
The rifle factory made looks excellent not many rounds down the bore .T bore still has the blue inside the bore ,no rust
Rifle a 50 cal. Any pro or cons on investarms black powder Rifles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 AM

dont waste your money on anything by Investarms............my opinion

NRA life member
DU member
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage

I had an invest arms flintlock that I inherited since around 1978, I have taken deer with it and have never had a problem with it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 12-07-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Watch this video.....of course, you'll have to bring a music player 'cause the song is why he can hit the target.

If the gun is in good shape and he's asking a fair price, then you may want to buy it. Do a search on their quality and on what the going market rate appears to be.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 AM
New Arrival

Lyman is made by Investarms and imported from Italy. The deerstalker I bought a few years back came with 2 manuals a Lyman and an Investarms.
Waynzee likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM
The Man

If my memory serves me right they are 2 different companies.Investarms and Investarm or Investarm and Invest Arms.
One inport by Richland other by Lyman.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Last edited by 410-er; 12-07-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

investarms manufactures lyman muzzleloaders--YEP YEP YEP
Waynzee likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I had an invest arms flintlock that I inherited since around 1978, I have taken deer with it and have never had a problem with it.

That rifle looks almost like my son's traditions frontier, only my son's doesn't have a patch box.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage

The only thing it has on it as an identifier is a large block style roman numeral I. I didnlt know who made it for a long time until I posted that picture here about 9 months ago and one of the black powder guys told me. It shoots well, I used to take it to Conservation camp every year and so did another CO and we would have a afternoon of the kids shooting them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: South Fayette Twp., Allegheny Co, PA; From Latrobe/Greensburg,PA Area pre 2012/
Back in 1978 I started as a flintlock fanatic. My first was an Armsport Arms I won on a raffle, imported into VA by Invest Arms. It was an Italian made Hawken style flinter. My friend, now deceased master gunsmith Phillip Cravener, advised me to do certain procedures on any FACTORY made gun (TC, Lyman. CVA etc. Take it apart; Polish all the friction bearing parts; clean it up; If the bore has bluing in it, Lap treat it to shine; Put it back together and shoot a 100 plus round through it to season the barrel; Then decide if you're satisfied with the sites, or not. If not, replace them. But, when you can afford too, build, or have built, a custom rifle or smooth-bore of your liking by a reputable gun maker. By then you should have a basic understanding of the flintlock rifle. Never think you learned everything; You can't. Just listen to stories and choose you knowledge.
When I won that first flintlock, rathe rthan the finished gun, I opted to take the kit gun and a shooter and finishing kit with a pound each of FFg and FFFFg Goex powder and a couple other goodies. In the fall of 1978 the finished rifle was $129.00 while the kit was $69.99. The dealer gave me the extras and still made a couple bucks more. Phil said that I made an excellent, educated choice. Build it, learn some skill and get an informed understanding. That's also my suggestion for first timers. Don't try to build the scratch gun unless you've build things before that give you some very good skill. some mistakes are unfixable.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

'Mad Irish' Jack O'Donnell
I started hunting as a youngster. Yeah, I saw BAMBI. I got over it!

Last edited by Mad_Jack; 12-07-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: splg, add info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page