Rice or Colerain barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Rice or Colerain barrel?

Kind of quiet around here, so lets talk barrels. If you had to chose between the two, which one and why?
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM

I opt for a whisky barrel. Tis the season.
jimsdad, 325wsm and Steeltrap like this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

LOL! Safety would be a real concern after a few "shots" from the ol' whisky barrel!
Steeltrap likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know you didn't ask about Green Mt. barrels, but I have two of 'em. A 50 cal and a 54 cal. The target in the pic below is from the very first time I took out the 54 caliber (just finished the build this fall) and shooting PRB using 85gr FFF. The target was at 100yds and of course, I was shooting off a bench. FWIW

Loggy likes this.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Sage

No ownership experience with Rice but own a Brad Emig built 54 caliber PA Mountain Rifle that sports a Colerain(PA mfgr) 38" swamped barrel with rifling depth of 016 per side The 6 groove rifling is cut round bottom (radius groove) which because of the lack of corners in the grooves is much easier to clean and also allows the patch to better seal. Most accurate flintlock ive ever owned...and ive owned many!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Banned

I recently bought a Rice barrel for the .32 caliber squirrel rifle I'm planning to build. Its the first Rice I've bought, so I won't be able to report on how well it shoots (yet anyway). Its got probably the best in the white finish I've seen. I doubt I will even have to draw file it before finishing.... My .54 caliber Lancaster kit came with a Colerain barrel. It has a nice finish but did require some draw filing.
Loggy and blackpowder like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have both and I think you would be good with either one. as Loggy said, the radius rifling is the way to go. and as BB said, the finish on the Rice is nicer, but the Colerain isn't really a problem to smooth out. Actually, Douglas is my favorite barrel but they are few and far between! what you building?
Loggy likes this.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage

I have before owning my Colerain barreled flinter only shot TC, Green Mountain, Lyman GPR and some Bergara barreled mls. IMO the Colerain barrel a big step up in both quality and performance.
blackpowder and Blue Bird like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 12-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
I have before owning my Colerain barreled flinter only shot TC, Green Mountain, Lyman GPR and some Bergara barreled mls. IMO the Colerain barrel a big step up in both quality and performance.

And they are made here in PA
Loggy likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
I have both and I think you would be good with either one. as Loggy said, the radius rifling is the way to go. and as BB said, the finish on the Rice is nicer, but the Colerain isn't really a problem to smooth out. Actually, Douglas is my favorite barrel but they are few and far between! what you building?
Im thinking of getting one of the Isaac Haines flintlock kits from track of the wolf. You have a choice of either a swamped Colerain or Rice barrel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in