Lyman great plains......maybe hunter? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lyman great plains......maybe hunter?

I'm hoping for a little bit of guidance from you seasoned lyman shooters I have seen post on this board.

I am going to be purchasing a new flintlock here in the next couple weeks. I am set on the great plains rifle in .50 caliber because all the stuff I currently have is in .50, I just cant decide between the standard 1:60 twist or the faster 1:32 hunter barrel. Typically, from what I've seen the most they vary is about 10-15 dollars depending on where you buy it...so cost really isn't an issue. It will be a deer hunting rifle that I plan to shoot throughout throughout the year.

For those of you that shoot them, what would you say are the pros and cons between the 2? Is there a conical that will shoot out of the 1:60 that will allow you to shoot that conical and the recommended roundball? I'm really leaning that way, but the more I read about the hunter the more I'm kind of intrigued by it.

While we're at it...what are you shooting out of your plains rifle? From what I can tell they tend to favor a pretty thick patch for round ball shooters(.018 pillowticking) and a .490 ball? I figure 80 grains of 2f goex will be a good place to start shooting it. Do the lymans favor a specific flint? I know my traditions seem to like the fuller black English flints.

I thank you all for your time and input, I'm just looking to gather everything I need that way when it comes in I can hit the ground running.

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Banned

I've got a Lyman GPR in .54 caliber. Its got the 1/60 twist barrel because I only shoot round balls. I use 80 grains of 2fg and it groups nicely with that load. I've used that same load in my semi custom Lancaster rifle and it will easily kill a deer. I use .018-.020 patching in mine. I've used both English flints and cut agates but prefer the English flints because they seem to throw more sparks. The curved butt plate does dig into the shoulder so be mindful of that. Of all the factory made guns I've seen/used, T/C and Lyman are about the best. Pedersoli is also a good make but I have no experience with them.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 PM

My Lyman .50 cal 1-60 GPR shoots a 240 gr Hornady PA conical as accurately as a patched roundball with hunting loads. I shoot 70 gr of 3f with the Hornady

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for your inpit fellas. The 240 grain conical....is that pretty close to the Buffalo ballet?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:54 PM

Buffalo bullets are hard to find since they stopped making them. You can find the Hornady bullets at a number of places.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

My son shoots 370 grain maxi balls from his .50 cal Traditions flintlock, again using 80 grains of 2fg. Groups nicely with that load and will flip a deer on its arse. I have a Lyman mold, and we just made up a batch for him tonight for the upcoming season.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 PM
The Man

Why,d you make a batch?It only takes one.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
Why,d you make a batch?It only takes one.

Cause the kids probably got more than one tag.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well I think I'm going to go with the standard 1:60. I'm going to get the 240 grain PA conicals and start at 80 grains of 2f. I am going to get some round balls and patches too but if I can get the conicals to shoot good enough I'll stick with those for this year and spend next year finding the patched round ball load the gun prefers. Thanks again for your help

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Cause the kids probably got more than one tag.
That and not many guys I know enter the woods with just one round . When I said batch, he made around 17, plus a couple that were wrinkled that went back in the pot. Mold wasn't hot enough........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page