Penn Hunter Carbine Good bad? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Penn Hunter Carbine Good bad?

I have been looking for a lyman deerstalker but found a Penn Hunter Carbine .50, 22 inch barrel 1:48 twist rate.
Any knowledge or feedback would be helpful before I move on it..will mainly be used for whitetail here in PA..Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:14 PM
The Man

My son has one and he loves it. The last deer I killed with a flintlock was with that rifle. I know they are a little hard to find and go fast when you see one for sale. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially if the price is reasonable.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4 View Post
My son has one and he loves it. The last deer I killed with a flintlock was with that rifle. I know they are a little hard to find and go fast when you see one for sale. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially if the price is reasonable.
any concerns with that short of a barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:43 PM
The Man

Hasn't been a problem so far. Keep in mind that neither of us are experts, so we keep our shooting within a reasonable range. I don't have any trouble keeping 2-3 inch groups at 50yds.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:13 PM
The Man

Grab it.They are great weapons and cherished over the standard version.I assume it,s used though and if it is get yourself a drop in bore light to inspect the inside of the barrel.If you can,t do that seein how it has been cared for should give you a good idea on it,s overall condition.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM
The Man

Shorter barrel might do better with FFFg over FFg.ANY muzzleloader should get less then 1 1/2" at 50 yds. if you get the right RB/patch/powder combo.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I once read something about a group of men that were at a gathering in the 1750's. One man was bragging about how good his rifle shot. He had been shooting at this gathering and not doing all that great, and someone remarked that it didn't appear that his rifle was all that great. The fellow with the rifle proposed a wager with the fellow that made the remark, he offered the commentator the first shot. A mark was placed and the first fellow shot, coming close to the mark. When it was time for the fellow with the rifle in question to shoot, he said "OK, Don, time for you to shoot". A young man stepped up and settled down on the rifle. The other shooter protested "what is this" he exclaimed. "You can't have another man shoot for you". The owner of the rifle retorted "The wager is who has the better rifle, not who is the better shot. Shoot the mark, Don". The young man took the shot, dead center of the mark. As the young man handed the rifle back to its' owner the loser in the competition said "that was good shooting Don". The young man replied "The name is Dan'l, Dan'l Boone".

While most ML rifles should be cable of 1.5" groups at 50 yards, not all shooters are. Especially if it's a flinter. A 3" group is good enough as long as the shooter limits his shots.
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage

If it had the 32" 1-66 bbl I would say grab it. Owned one & was a fine flinter. Never been a fan of 1-48 bbls.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:55 PM
The Man

It is the Carbine Loggy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Lightbulb

At one point back in the 90's we had something like 8 different PA Hunters or PA Hunter Carbines in our hunting camp...... the only real complaint with them was the triggers.
Every single one of them had what any sane person would classify as a horrible trigger. My personal rifle, a full length Oct/Round version, had something like a 13-14lb trigger pull. You had to pull it twice to get it to fire
It was flat awful.
The single triggers were so bad that most of us installed a T/C Renegade double set trigger group and guard.
Made them "one of a kind" type guns even though we had a half dozen of them converted LOL
REALLY improved the shootability by leaps and bounds.

I had mine until a couple years ago where I finally sold it to a family member just starting out.

(I attached a couple of pics of mine how it looked converted to a double trigger for giggles.....)

If you can, check the trigger pull to see if you can live with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140813_192900.jpg (1.10 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20140813_192836.jpg (1.07 MB, 17 views)
octagon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page