Participation Decline - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Participation Decline

Six years ago I stopped hunting with the flintlock. Had a few misses that year and ended up wounding a doe. Busted it’s shoulder on a 40 yard shot and ended up tracking it for two days but was unable to finish it off.
I was sick about it and even though this was unfortunately not the first deer I ever wounded it was probably the most painful.
Mainly because I kept getting close enough to it while tracking it that I could see it hobbling on three legs but never close enough to get a clean shot off.
Also the fact that I came to the realization that I may not be competent enough to hunt with a flintlock which I really enjoyed hunting with.

Anyhow I plan on finally hunting with it again this year and as a result it has me thinking a lot about flintlock season.

Do you guys think flintlock participation has dropped significantly over the years ? To me there’s a lot of signs that would point to that direction.
First and foremost the decline of hunters which is obvious but there is also other factors.

When I was younger we had two weeks of buck followed by three days of doe. Limited tags and archery wasn’t nearly as popular.
If you wanted to extend your deer season the flintlock was the way to go for many.
Now we have senior and jr rifle seasons in October.
Lots of tags.
A week of muzzleloader in October.
Crossbows are now legal and a popular weapon in the late season .
Concurrent seasons.

Are all these additions causing the traditional flintlock season to die out or become a shell of what it once was ?

Have any of you noticed a drop in participation over the years ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 09-19-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 AM

Muzzleloader sales are down 30,000 from 10 years ago. I do see less participation in flintlock season as well. Where I primarily hunt, we could usually rely on pressure from some neighboring farms moving deer throughout the day. That isn't happening now.

Speaking from personal experience. I used to hunt with 4-5 guys every flintlock season. We would be out there every Saturday hitting it hard. These guys began to hunt less and less. The last three years, I have hunted flintlock by myself. All have quit. Interesting thing they are also hunting other seasons less and less as well. None crossbow hunt other than me.

Because of this, I have been spending more time on a different property that doesn't have as many deer, but there is good pressure on the land surrounding it. It is a large lease and still has a good flintlock crew in there driving deer all day.

Flintlock season may be my favorite season. It is "pure" season that is free from most gadgets, gizmos, and hi-tech stuff that have invaded our hunting packs and weapons. I truly feel like I am hunting as they did 100s of years ago. Success is sweet.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 09-19-2018 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 AM
The Man

From 2006 to 2016 the combined resident and nonresident ML license sales in PA declined from 198,291 to 158,451. So there is little doubt that participation in muzzleloader hunting is on the decline, as are most forms of hunting and fishing. Why, is anybody's guess....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Even though I haven't hunted with one for several years I am still out there in the winter scouting. I am not seeing many flintlock hunters either and all the guys I use to hunt with have given it up.
Really looking forward to getting back into it. Next to hunting the rut in archery season carrying the flintlock in December and January is one of my favorite things to do.
Wounding the doe was a big factor in giving it up the last six years but another factor has been that my wife and I had 4 children since then and with the exception of one all were born in the winter. Things are a little calmer now and I should be able to get out in the morning and evenings from time to time.
Might be pushing my luck hunting all day after we get through archery , bear season, and rifle season.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Sage

I see about the same number of ML hunters as before. I think the ML license sales decline is largely attributed to the ever increasing cumulative number of Senior Combo License holders which include a ML License.... therefore not adding to the ML sales numbers as they include a Lifetime ML License. In effect....ML license sales would decrease with no impact on participation.

Also, my guess is that the overall average age of flintlock hunters is older than the general hunting populous. I always view stats as merely numbers which in many cases don't account for reality.
willyp and bigguy54 like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Even though I haven't hunted with one for several years I am still out there in the winter scouting. I am not seeing many flintlock hunters either and all the guys I use to hunt with have given it up.
Really looking forward to getting back into it. :
Something that has really helped my field accuracy is shooting sticks. I never flintlock hunt without them now. They double as a nice walking stick too if there is snow or frozen ground.
steelhead125 likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM
The Man

Not to discount any hard core fact numbers.But flinty sales still remain strong and their interest in the used market is high.Grices has special runs with Traditions only offered to Grices and Traditions has been introducin new models every couple years.They shore as shootin wouldn,t be doin it if the interest and sales were,t there.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I hunted public land almost every day of last flintlock season and never saw another hunter. And this is just how I like it. Pressure is the last thing I want. Well, no, rain is the VERY last thing I want. This year I have two antlerless tags. One for early muzzle loader and one for flintlock. The more hunters stay home the better it gets for those still out there loven it.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
I hunted public land almost every day of last flintlock season and never saw another hunter. And this is just how I like it. Pressure is the last thing I want. Well, no, rain is the VERY last thing I want. This year I have two antlerless tags. One for early muzzle loader and one for flintlock. The more hunters stay home the better it gets for those still out there loven it.
I agree that one of the best things about the late season is having the woods mostly to yourself.
I remember it being that way even back in the late 80ís and early 90ís for the exception of the weekends when we got together to do drives.
Really miss doing the drives. Always saw a ton of deer off them.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A couple of things to think about when tracking a wounded deer. Don't wait for the ideal shot. If you see the deer and can safely get a shot off, by all means shoot. It very well may be the last time you see that deer. You may not have the ideal broadside standing shot, but that deer is already hit, suffering, and most likely going to die. Find the best shot you can and do not hesitate to shoot.

Also when tracking a wounded deer it doesn't hurt to take a friend or two that knows how to sneak through the woods and can shoot. A few guys fanned out has a much better chance of recovering that deer.

And of course this year you can employ the help of a dog. That could be a help.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page