Anyone ever buy an unassembled lock kit? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone ever buy an unassembled lock kit?

I ordered a Large Siler lock kit from Track of the Wolf yesterday. A fully assembled lock costs $194.00, the kit was $125.00 plus $8.95 shipping. Looks to be not much more than drilling and tapping some pre punched holes, tempering the frizzen and maybe a little polishing of some of the internals. Comes with instructions. I've taken apart the locks on the guns I have now many times, so shouldn't be that much of an ordeal.

Just wondering if anyone here has done one of these kits before, and how did it turn out? Is there anything I should watch out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: South Fayette Twp., Allegheny Co, PA; From Latrobe/Greensburg,PA Area pre 2012/
Seems you understand what you're getting. Just take your time. Make sure to high polish the friction bearing parts for smoother operation. I take locks down to parts when I fix & clean them and polish those parts. I use graphite on my friction parts. Since I break down and clean my locks after shooting, I always examine and care for any problem I may encounter before it festers to something nasty. Many folks that own MLers pretty much only use them for deer hunting and therefore they don't care for them as they require. Their loss, pity.

'Mad Irish' Jack O'Donnell
I started hunting as a youngster. Yeah, I saw BAMBI. I got over it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page