Getting started with a fowler - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep this separate from my bulid post. Now that I have a functioning gun, i come up with all the acoutraments I need to operate a fowler(shotgun). I have a multi point question.

I need to make a bag to tote my gear. Does anyone mind showing photos of what they have, with likes and dislikes about it.

Does anyone have any pet loads for their 20ga they'd mind sharing?

Of all the specialized gear for fowlers, is there anything you feel is necessary/unnecessary? I have the growing list of needs, primer flask, knapping hammer, pick, brush... The growing list of what I need to make is starting to get rather large. Might actually need to buy some stuff.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Banned

I don't take much gear at all with me with my smooth bore. I make speed loads from paper tubes that hold powder and shot, which I then use the paper for wadding. I use my gun strictly for hunting so I want to be fast and light with it. Aside from the speed loads I just bring a priming flask, extra flint, vent pick, pan brush, and a small screw driver for the jaws of the cock. I carry it all in the same pocket of my hunting vest.

You can carry a seperate shot pouch or snake like some guys do, but for hunting purposes where a quick reload is required, I find that stuff to be a detriment.

I load 70 grains 2fg powder, a couple crumpled up wads of the paper, then 80 grains shot, with a wad of the paper to hold it all together, tamped pretty good to get it all tight in the breech. I've never felt the need to use those fiber wads or cards whatever. The old guys didn't use them and they killed game.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a variety of cards, wads (both fiber and plastic) ect. for my smoothbore. what I focused on 25 years ago with mine was a pattern that I felt would get me clean kills without losing game. I spent a ton of time with mine and have hunted more with it than modern guns. staying "traditional" is great if you can make it work consistently, but requires a lot of time. if you are going to be in the area give me a call and I can fix you up with some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 PM

TRAPJAW -

After experimenting a bunch, I found that I like using thin, overshot cards for pretty much every layer of the load - over the powder and over the shot. The reason is that those relatively light cards disburse quickly and don't seem to upset the pattern or cause donuts like some of the heaving cushion wads that I tried tended to do.

For turkey/upland game, this was my recipe:

70 gr. of Goex FFg with 3 overshot cards on top

1 oz. (volume measured with a Lee shot measure) of #7.5 chilled lead shot with a matched volume of corn muffin mix dumped directly over it and a single overshot card on top.

That load made for some mighty nice turkey patterns and a dead bird this past Spring.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 08-09-2018 at 06:01 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I've had some connectivity issues recently, reason for not posting back to this. Too boot, I ran out of powder(well may have had a shot or two left) and couldn't get anywhere to pick more up until Sat.

I started making a powder flask... Until I realized that I read the graduations wrong on the nozzle. It only goes down to 1-1/4oz, which might be just a bit heavy for bushytails.

I put that aside and focused on a bag. I've settled on a bag that has a main compartment with three more small compartments under the flap for wads. Made it a bit on the large side since I'm not 100% on having a shot flask. Might need to make a bag to tote around inside with shot, or come up with a way to make "cartridges".

The last time I was out shooting I was using a nitro wad, dry fiber wad, shot and overshot card. The fouling I got was horrendous. The last shot was hard to get the wads down the barrel, ending the day. I was thinking of trying to lube the fiber wads and see if that helps out the fouling. Hopefully I'll get out this weekend to work on it some more.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 PM
The Man

Don't be afraid of 1oz-2oz of shot.Squirrels are tough and I have stung my share with #6 till I stuck with #4's.
Powder charges from 55gr-70gr or more FFg.I go about 1/3 more shot than powder.
You might need tighter over the powder cards to get cleaner burn.
My bag is homemade with deerskin and 3 pockets to hold bottles with my cards and wads.
I made these copper tubes for powder and stamped the charge amount on the flats.Could also make some for shot.
101_1241[1] by t410er, on Flickr

I really like using the Irish charger when measuring shot.Pic of charger and simple bag.
101_1116[1] by t410er, on Flickr

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Last edited by 410-er; 08-15-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page