I made a boo boo last night - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I made a boo boo last night

Ended up at an auction last night that had a BUNCH of muzzleloaders. Most were percussion, about a dozen SxS shotguns, a few 32 and 36 caliber, the listing and photos had me salivating. Of course when I got there that changed. Most were either in rough condition or most of the 32 and 36 caliber guns had insanely heavy barrels. I did decide to keep an eye on a couple of the shotguns. When the time came I ended up with one for $170. I thought I had a good shooter... Until they handed me the gun. I marked down the wrong number on my catalog. It was the gun next to it that was in good shape, this one was missing a giant chunk of wood between the left lock and the tang.

So, what would you have done? I ended up handing it back to the auctioneer and told him to run it through his next sale. My luck I'll only get $50 for it. I thought about getting a piece of wood for it and making a new stock, but it would end up in a que that already has 5 guns in front of it.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Banned

What I would have done is, take the gun, walk around the auction, then when no one was looking, I'd set the gun down and quietly walk out. Now this is assuming you didn't have to give your name to obtain your auction number. Some auctions you need to give a name and address in order to get an auction number, some you don't. And still others you just toss up your hand or nod or something when bidding and then you just take the item and pay on the way out. Like I said, if it was one of the auctions where you don't furnish any info beforehand, then I'd leave the thing on the table and walk out. They'll sell it the next time.

Now if was one of the fore mentioned auctions then you're pretty much screwed and doing what you did was probably the only other alternative. That or just sell the thing on your own when you get home.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I know the auction you speak of. Sorry you didn't get what you thought. I can relate. Me and auctions rarely work out. I think you did the right thing. Chalk it up as experience and hope you get most of your money back next month. Curious what some of the nicer .36's went for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I've been thinking all day that I should go back and pick it up.

The 32 and 36 cal guns were what I went to look at. Man were they heavy, both in total weight and front heavy. My Sharps is 11.5# and a couple of those were noticeably heavier. There were a few that went for 1k+. Made me think that I should get my but in gear and make a couple to take down and sell.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I have or had 4 shotguns and 1 muzzleloader at this auction, My guns were in good shape. I keep it and try to find a stock.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW View Post
I've been thinking all day that I should go back and pick it up.

The 32 and 36 cal guns were what I went to look at. Man were they heavy, both in total weight and front heavy. My Sharps is 11.5# and a couple of those were noticeably heavier. There were a few that went for 1k+. Made me think that I should get my but in gear and make a couple to take down and sell.
Sounds like they went for much more than I would be willing to pay. I think I saw an underhammer listed also?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 AM
The Man

I did this once in my EARLY years. Guns were not numbered and I was in the back.When they brought it to me I admitted I bid on the wrong one.Auctioneer said bring it back up and we will sell it again.
Learned to sit close and make sure.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page