Just placed order for new stock...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Just placed order for new stock......

Just got off the phone with Pecatonica River. Finally placed my order for the stock for my squirrel rifle build. I went with the Andrew Verner left handed stock in grade 3 curly maple. I must say they are a very accomodating company. Everything I asked for on this stock was available. Actually I only wanted the barrel channel and ramrod hole drilled and that's it. This time around I want to mortice out the lock area and trigger hole myself. They listed the ramrod channel as 3/8's but since my barrel is in .32 caliber the gun will take a 5/16ths ramrod. And they are drilling it 5/16ths per my request. I'm excited as this will put me one step closer to being able to begin the build. I only need to buy a butt plate and trigger guard and I can get started at least. Hoping to start the build this fall.
blackpowder and Six-Gun like this.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 06-18-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM

Pecatonica river is a very good company to do business with. I pan on purchasing another kit from them. Best of luck on your new build.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

what "style" are you building BB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Just going to be a simple, plain longrifle. No particular style in mind. I prefer simplicity so will not do fancy carvings or inlays save for maybe a hunter's star or something like that. I don't have the skill to do fancy work anyway. I'm not a purist in the sense that the gun will have to have certain aspects of one craftsman or another. Whatever appeals to me. I liked the look of the Verner stock, and lucked out that they make it in a left hand version. All hardware is going to be brass again. I like working with brass as it comes out looking nicer when finished than steel or iron IMO.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 06-19-2018 at 08:40 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ordering the stock always determined that indeed the building project was underway, and this was not a matter of simply buying expensive kindling wood! You have made the project a serious commitment, and a flintlock shooter is down the road, and I wish you well with each future, pain-staking step.

I might suggest something for you to consider. I built my .36 cal. squirrel rifle several years ago, and it turned out well with one bothersome short-coming. If I were to do it again, I would change my selected 42 inch barrel choice for a 39 inch one. There is a lot of steel in that 42", .36 cal. barrel, making it uncomfortably front heavy, in my humble opinion.

I use this rifle during the fall turkey season, and readily admit that by day's end I'm glad to slide it back into it's wool case!

As a lefty myself, I can appreciate your desire to work on the lock and side plate inletting yourself. I use the dremel tool with extreme care inletting the lock, and although not historically correct, find it provides a neat and precise job of this all-important task.

Best of luck on your project, and best wishes for many enjoyable years in the squirrel and turkey woods!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter View Post
Ordering the stock always determined that indeed the building project was underway, and this was not a matter of simply buying expensive kindling wood! You have made the project a serious commitment, and a flintlock shooter is down the road, and I wish you well with each future, pain-staking step.

I might suggest something for you to consider. I built my .36 cal. squirrel rifle several years ago, and it turned out well with one bothersome short-coming. If I were to do it again, I would change my selected 42 inch barrel choice for a 39 inch one. There is a lot of steel in that 42", .36 cal. barrel, making it uncomfortably front heavy, in my humble opinion.

I use this rifle during the fall turkey season, and readily admit that by day's end I'm glad to slide it back into it's wool case!

As a lefty myself, I can appreciate your desire to work on the lock and side plate inletting yourself. I use the dremel tool with extreme care inletting the lock, and although not historically correct, find it provides a neat and precise job of this all-important task.

Best of luck on your project, and best wishes for many enjoyable years in the squirrel and turkey woods!
Mine is going to be heavy, I'm expecting that. I bought a .32 caliber barrel, so the barrel's got even more meat to it than the .36. But, I went with a 13/16ths barrel, so Compared to the 7/8ths /.54 caliber I built for deer hunting, its probably going to weigh roughly the same. I can live with that.

Using power tools for the build doesn't bother me. I use a dremel for all my builds. If you buy a pre inlet stock, trust me, that thing was morticed on a machine. Take a look at the lock mortice and you can see the milling marks. So my using a dremel don't bother me at all. The only way a person could be 100% historically correct would be to go back in time and build the gun back when our forefathers did. Simply building a gun using all hand tools is still not correct if you're working in an air conditioned work shop under electric lighting etc. I don't give any thought to what tools I use in the construction of my guns. Its the finished product that I am concerned with.

Both previous guns I built, I had to inlet the side plate, but not the lock or trigger, so this will be a nice challenge, but I know I can do it.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BB, I have a "Bivin's" brass trigger guard (new) I will never use, if it fits into you plans. I think I have a butt plate too, but I will have to dig around.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, but I just placed my order for both butt plate and trigger guard last night.........
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Oh, this ought to be cool. Keep us posted on your progress. I have a .36 cal for most of my small game work, but a true .32 is tempting. Your work just might push me over the edge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Still waiting for the stock. They told me it would be several weeks before I get it. I can live with that, as I don't plan to even start the project until the fall anyway. I am getting antsy though to get it. Once the wood is in hand then I can actually see it in my head being a finished firearm etc. Until then its just a box of part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page