Basic Fowler kit from TOTW build - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Basic Fowler kit from TOTW build

I decided that I would take blackpowder's advice and start posting up my progress on my Fowler. This may be additionally helpful for those that may think these types of projects are beyond their capabilities. This is the most basic kit you can get from the wolf. Most of the inletting is already roughed out. That includes the lock, butt and trigger.

After my attempt at making a 16ga Fowler came to a screeching halt I decided I wanted to have something come this fall. I ordered the basic Fowler kit from TOTW in with steel hardware. I waited a month and a half without getting the stock. Both the curly maple and walnut were not coming in. After a few phone calls of the same news(there was no ETA on either) I finally started looking at the plain maple. A couple weeks ago I saw they had the plain maple in stock. So, much to my chagrin I called and changed my order so I could start working.

I have already spent some time on it prior to this post. Most of that is in working on the barrel. I had a bit of a problem last year when I did my Beck 50cal. I left the barrel for last and by that point I just wanted to shoot it so I rushed. This time I decided I'd get that out of the way first. You can see by the photo of the barrel what it looks like out of the box and after sanding and polishing up to 2k grit. Also, I have about an hour lining up the barrel and lock to figure where to start inletting for the tang, another lesson I learned last year.

I'll have more posts as I progress. But at this point I'm only going to get time when the weather is lousy. I'm about a month behind on putting up my wood for next winter. My hope is to have the wood done by memorial day and get this wrapped up mid summer. What's the old saying about well laid plans???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180501_192901_1525219490917.jpg (1.63 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20180501_192909_1525219533937.jpg (495.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20180501_192953_1525219547816.jpg (1.59 MB, 20 views)

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Last edited by TRAPJAW; 05-01-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 PM

looks like you got a good bit done ,looks real fine . hope you get your other work done ,so you can keep working on your new gun
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

looking forward to following along as you go. looks like a fun project to fill in those summer days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Only got about an hour on it tonight. Got the tang just about worked in. Part of that time was getting the barrel partly smoked. If the weather holds for tomorrow I'll get the barrel completely smoked and start working on cleaning up the barrel channel. I also included the photo after putting the barrel in to see where the high spots are. Only the areas where there is black needs sanded. Yes, there is a lot of putting the barrel in and sand here and there and repeat. If things go well tomorrow should be able to bend the tang and finish the tang area. The barrel channel on this stock are pretty close already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180503_202935_1525394304942.jpg (390.8 KB, 11 views)
bigguy54 and blackpowder like this.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Confused by "sanding the black marks".

When using transfer color to inlet parts like you are doing, a chisel is typically used to remove the black transfer color.maybe I'm confused...I don't touch sandpaper to my wood ever. Good sharp chisels are used for inletting work.

If you don't have a good lamp setup to soot up parts, I'd invest in a jar of inletting black. I smoked parts on my first build. Now I use inletting black. Wasn't a fan of having a flame in the work area..and I like a smaller dedicated bench for gun work and I'd surely knock it over..now the inletting black makes quick clean work...

Also, if you haven't yet, draw file the barrel and get it cleaned up prior to anything else...I found on my last build that I didn't need to touch the barrel channel at all after I was done cleaning up the barrel itself.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sand paper, chisel, file, gouges, whatever works for you on that particular area/spot. candle soot has always worked very well for me and clean up is a breeze. the more you build, the more you will find your own style of doing things and remember, take your time and don't get in a rush. looking good!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, just looked at the computer for the first time all weekend. Got about 2.5 cords of wood split, just shy of half done. Dang am I out of shape.

I found these little beauties on USA Knife Maker. The get into just about any area possible. Besides, on my first build I tried using a chisel first. I was taking off way too much material, even when I wasn't trying to. At least with these I can sand just the area I want and a pass or two is all it takes. After the bone-headed mistakes I made last year I'm taking it slower this time around.

As for the soot. I have a candle in a tin tray that I put on my bandsaw table to keep it out of the way. My workshop is about 12' wide, so to soot all I have to do is turn around. At least I'm smart and move the 15lbs of smokeless powder out of the area before I start working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180506_212517_1525656752747.jpg (1.42 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by TRAPJAW; 05-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM

Interesting!!

Whatever works best for ya!

You're right. Slow and clean work is key regardless of how you get there. I tried a Dremel once....
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Very nice and interesting. I like how straight you have the shoulders for the breech plug. Did you have the staples and sights put on by TOTW or are you going to do this operation yourself? Are you using brass or iron fittings? Keep us up to speed on your progress.

If you need spare parts let me know as I have the same kit sitting in my attic unfinished because I can not handle the stock in letting; all the iron mounting metal parts have been cleaned and finished ready to blue or brown.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned

Yep, whatever works for you. I use a dremel tool on certain areas when I build. Many people will scoff at that, but I have very steady hands and know how to use a dremel. Works great in lock mortices and thimble slots. Of course for the real fine work its chisels and Xacto knives all the way.

And yes, get some inletting black. Works great and a little container lasts a long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page