Clean vs. dirty barrel in ML fowlers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Clean vs. dirty barrel in ML fowlers

Is it my imagination, or does my pattern start opening up rapidly as the barrel fouls up?

I was doing pattern work today using corn muffin mix as buffer with #7.5 lead shot and noticed that, even with wiping between shots, the patterns were getting more open as the gun got dirtier...or so it seemed. is this coincidence or is a ever-fouling barrel a known pattern degenerating circumstance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:12 AM

I've found that shot loads are very much affected by fouling and a dirty bore.......I always range clean and dry thoroughly between shots otherwise I've found I'm just wasting pellets.
Patterning a fowler can be a very time consuming process if you want to do it right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:56 PM
The Man

Have you tried the Skychief load a try?

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt / PA View Post
I've found that shot loads are very much affected by fouling and a dirty bore.......I always range clean and dry thoroughly between shots otherwise I've found I'm just wasting pellets.
Patterning a fowler can be a very time consuming process if you want to do it right.
Thanks, Matt. I had a suspicion that something had to be going on related to the fouling and you pretty much confirmed what I suspected. I'm very new to this, but when the range officer came over (turns out, he's an old smoke pole nut himself) he was very impressed with the pattern my TVM 20 GA was posting at 20 yards. It was dead center, with center-of-pattern about 4" right of point if aim.

By the end of the session, the pattern had opened up a good bit and I noticed that, despite simple wiping between shots, things were getting tight around the wads the more I shot. That alone caused me to think that the two effects were correlated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er View Post
Have you tried the Skychief load a try?
This was the method I followed:

http://www.caywoodguns.com/working-up-turkey-loads.html

In short, it forgoes cushion wads for using a series of much lighter overshot cards along with using corn muffin mix as a shot buffer. I believe I tried the Skychief load when I first got the gun but was getting a wicked donut. That could've been any number variables though, knowing what I know now. I might try it again.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-22-2018 at 08:26 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM

interesting information
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

when I built my trade gun about 1990, I spent a lot of time at the bench patterning it and really never gave that a thought. the load I shoot has served me well, from wing shooting, rabbits, turkey and ducks and geese. depending on the game I am after, I just adjust the amount of shot and the size of the shot. good luck with yours, you are going to have a good time hunting with it!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page